Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

I am going to go out on a limb and say that under that blue blanket or drop cloth in the background is Bill's smaller PM25.

Just a guess though, I think he still has it.

Mike.

Good guess Mike, that's what it is. I use some cheap sheets to keep the dust off. Still toying with the idea of a grinding attachment for the little mill.

Tidied up the new lathe a bit. I think this little shop will work quite well for me.

View attachment 98278

Now all I need is my old panhead sitting in the middle...
Nice Shop Bill. Looks like you have it really organized. Is that a bandsaw i see on the end of the lathe? Also really enjoy you photos and updates. Keep em coming.

Nice Shop Bill. Looks like you have it really organized. Is that a bandsaw i see on the end of the lathe? Also really enjoy you photos and updates. Keep em coming.

I have a little Griz 4x6 and keep it between the two lathes. Running out of wall space. :)

Gee Bill, I totally missed when you started this thread. Glad to see you got your lathe, too bad about the motor, sounds like you are still trying to get the lathe running?

Hey Jon, where the heck have you been dude? :)

Yea, Matt sent me a brand new motor (I didn't even ask...) to replace the dinged one. I'll likely use parts off the single phase to repair it and keep it for a spare. I had some stuff I wanted to make on the new lathe right away, so didn't want to start tearing the lathe apart until I got those done. I basically got serious about the change over a week ago.

But I'm struggling a bit with the change-over to 3 phase/VFD. I haven't done any electrical rework in over 20 years so I have nothing to do the work with, and never having done this exact stuff before, I didn't know what I needed until I needed i,t and it's another week waiting for something to arrive. :(

I have a large NEMA-1 box that I'm mounting to the side of the stand near the lathe head. When I ordered it from Automation Direct they suggested a sub-panel, and at the time I couldn't figure out why I would need it so I didn't get it. I figured out why I need it last Saturday morning. It should be here sometime this week (Bill drumming his fingers on his desk). There have been a string of events like this. :cussing:

So far, I've managed to make a new control panel for the front of the lathe and have switches on it for E-stop, JOG (fwd and rev), Frequency/motor speed, and Braking. I need to finish making the wiring harnesses for the front panel (waiting on colored heat shrink tubing for that), and start mounting pieces on the sub-panel when it arrives. I'm literally taking the fiber board with the bus-bar and 24v transformer and transferring it to the larger box. The original electrical box is completely empty. I put it back on the lathe to give me more room for laying stuff on top of the headstock. :grin:

Oh, and I have to mount the braking resistor inside the big box as well. This last weekend had me changing out the single-phase motor for the three-phase, and mounting the large box on the lathe stand. Hand drilling the five 3/4" holes in the bottom of the box with a cheap import drill bit was a little more excitement that I wanted...

Then once everything is installed/mounted I need to re-read the instructions in the manual for changing control parameters in the VFD, because I want to do this manually from the front panel the first time so I know exactly what is in the VFD. That and I figure I have a bigger chance of screwing things up if I try to do a config file download to do the initial programming. I'll probably have all of the electrical done this next weekend.

If I didn't forget anything else.

Mechanical mods are SO much easier.

Doesn't really matter as long as the user knows what's what. :)

As I mentioned, on a universal/mill DRO display, the axes are usually labeled X & Y, X on top for the cross slide, Y on bottom for the carriage on the display. I have a lathe specific DRO display & they are labeled X & Z, again X on top, Z on bottom. On lathe specific DROs, they usually have a button that allows you change from radius & diameter modes, this only works for the X axis. Universal/mill DROs can be set in the parameters to display either radius or diameter for each axis but I have seen a few with the radius/diameter button.

The way I learned it is the axes are in relation to the machine's spindle being Z.

Lathe
View attachment 98005

Vert mill
View attachment 98006

Horiz mill
View attachment 98007

I believe that the labels of each axis are in relation to the ordinate planes where X+ is to the right Y+ is up(north) and Z+ is coming out of the page. If you line up the Z you get X for right left and Y in out.

What the heck are you guys talking about? :)

Lol, my quoted post from #44 is clear as day with the diagrams attached but I'm a bit confused what Brook is trying to say. :)

Back