Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

Well after much back and forth with the bubble level and then the headstock, I have it down to .0006" across 10" of cut. Except it's the other way now, i.e. taper increases away from the headstock but I'm too tired and out of patience to mess with it anymore... :cussing:

But then in all honesty I doubt I even need that level of accuracy for anything I do so I'll go ahead and call it good enough. :beer bottles:

0.0006 on 10" sounds pretty darn good. Did you need to loosen the head to align it or just tighten down the head bolts?

My PM1340gt ships next month.:D

Well after much back and forth with the bubble level and then the headstock, I have it down to .0006" across 10" of cut. Except it's the other way now, i.e. taper increases away from the headstock but I'm too tired and out of patience to mess with it anymore... :cussing:

But then in all honesty I doubt I even need that level of accuracy for anything I do so I'll go ahead and call it good enough. :beer bottles:

0.0006 on 10" sounds pretty darn good. Did you need to loosen the head to align it or just tighten down the head bolts?

I used the alignment bolts as a quick 'test pull' on a allen wrench on one of the end head bolts had me moving the lathe. They were pretty snug. :)

I have switched over to a link belt for the motor drive and made mine a bit longer such that the motor now sits almost level and gives me a bit of room between it and the lathe bed/headstock. But then I had to notch the change gear cover to give a bit more clearance for the motor pulley. Always tradeoffs. :)

But while easier to get to, it's still pretty tight back there.

Congrats on the new lathe (sorry I missed this earlier)!

The waiting stinks, but once you get it all the frustration of waiting just fades away. It's a great lathe IMO, and I think you will enjoy it. :)

Congrats on the new lathe (sorry I missed this earlier)!

The waiting stinks, but once you get it all the frustration of waiting just fades away. It's a great lathe IMO, and I think you will enjoy it. :)

Thanks I'm looking forward to getting my grubbies on it soon.

Well after much back and forth with the bubble level and then the headstock, I have it down to .0006" across 10" of cut. Except it's the other way now
Now you might be seeing the flex in your stock. Crimeny! 3 tenths. over 10", could just be surface finish variation, or you trapped a chunk of ozone under your mic on one end.:beguiled:

Now you might be seeing the flex in your stock. Crimeny! 3 tenths. over 10", could just be surface finish variation, or you trapped a chunk of ozone under your mic on one end.:beguiled:

Hey Jon,

Yea, I figured that I was well past the point of just 'chasing zeros' and called it good. I am really in love with this lathe though. I had that 2" piece hanging out of that big-arsed chuck and just for giggles spun it up to about 1600 rpm and my halogen light which is mounted to the flimsy back splash wouldn't even vibrate. Smoooooth. :D

Oh, and check your email.

Ozone that's funny. Here's one, to block neutrino particles you would need a plate of lead...a light year thick dang.

It's alive! :)

DSCN4329.jpg

Now I just have to fab a mount for it and the sensor.

Back