Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

I was going to make a knurled brass hat for the set screw, bevel all the edges, countersink the screws, and polish everything up when I realized it's just a display bracket. Got a little carried away I guess. :)

You're quite welcome. Thank you for reading this stuff. :)

Still making mods to it (doing one right now) but they are mostly little stiff. Will post them when complete.

Looking good Bill. We may have a contest to see who has the cleanest lathe on the site!

Not right now...she's got oil, cutting fluid, and chips all over her. ;)

Oh...and as a FYI for those who have or are thinking about a 1340GT: I purchased a can of CRC Open Gear & Chain Lube for the secondary gearbox. After attempting to blindly spray this stuff up into the gearbox (and getting it everywhere), I decided to pull the front cover. This allowed me to clean up in there a bit and then hose everything down with this stuff. I let it sit for a few minutes and then put it back together. And nothing is flinging out the bottom so far...

Four SHCSs and she pulls right off. Careful of the guide pins and the feed/thread selector when removing/re-installing. 5 min. job, tops.

Next mod: Compound lock.

Got tired of reaching for, or trying to remember where I left the 3mm allen wrench for locking/unlocking the compound. So I decided to try replicating a compound lock I saw in a picture somewhere on a bigger lathe (16x40?). Spent a lot of time visualizing (I don't do drawings, other than scribbles on a whiteboard) and flying by the seat of my pants, but I only had to remake one part in all this. Not too shabby for a hack. :)

DSCN4335.jpg

The pin/rest keeps the locking lever from catching on anything when moving the compound back and forth.

DSCN4336.jpg

Not much to look at, but works great. I even managed to keep the ball bearing that goes between the screw and the gib even though I tried to lose it several times...

Yes, quite a nice little time saver there...

BTW - that's a very expensive lunch counter in your avatar photo.

Back