Blast Cabinet Nozzle

Pb57

Registered
Registered
I have a TP Tools blast cabinet and have been using their ceramic nozzles for years. They also sell a regular steel nozzle that doesn't last as long as the ceramic as well as a carbide nozzle that's supposed to last 30 times longer than ceramic. ($50.00 each tho). I couldn't be happier with the quality of the TP blaster but I am going to make my own nozzles on the lathe. I was thinking of turning down some grade 8 bolt stock just like the nozzles and maybe heat treating them when done. How would these compare to the carbide nozzles? I know they would outlast the regular steel nozzles.
Thanks Paul

I have a TP Tools blast cabinet and have been using their ceramic nozzles for years. They also sell a regular steel nozzle that doesn't last as long as the ceramic as well as a carbide nozzle that's supposed to last 30 times longer than ceramic. ($50.00 each tho). I couldn't be happier with the quality of the TP blaster but I am going to make my own nozzles on the lathe. I was thinking of turning down some grade 8 bolt stock just like the nozzles and maybe heat treating them when done. How would these compare to the carbide nozzles? I know they would outlast the regular steel nozzles.
Thanks Paul

Nozzle longevity is dependent on the blast media and grit size you are using. Aluminum oxide, garnet, glass beads, etc. will erode the nozzle at different rates. Doesn't sound like making the nozzles will be difficult so I would make a few and see how it works out.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific in my response but there are too many variables to consider.

Tom S.

I'm not familiar with the the components in the carbide nozzles vs a grade 8 bolt. That's why I'm asking those knowledgable, how they would compare or if there is a better choice in material than the grade 8 bolt that is readily available. I use aluminum oxide and glass beads but that doesn't really matter, I realize they will wear the nozzle at different rates. I guess I will experiment a little.

Don't confuse hardness with toughness or wear resistance.
Not sure what grade 8 are made from, but they may not be good for this.
I suspect plain old tool steel like A2 would work better.

Would case hardening be appropriate?

Nothing wrong with giving it a try. Carbide is a lot harder than the steel and will certainly last a lot longer. Even the ceramic will last much longer than the steel, but so what. Grade 8 bolts really are not very hard. You are correct that case hardening will also help them last longer. Joshua makes a good suggestion about using tool steel - it is easy to come by, cheap and very easy to heat treat (I'd suggest W1, simply because it is cheap and easy to get - A1 is great too, but I don't find it as readily available in my area, and it costs more). W1 you can quench in water and then leave it dead hard.

Let us know how it works out.

A grade 8 bolt might last longer than mild steel, but not much. Heat treating a grade 8 bolt might help. In the tool steels D-2 is the most wear resistant when heat treated due to the high chrome content. Carbide and ceramics will far outlast any steel.

One thing I have wanted to try is UHMW, it is 30 times more wear resistant than mild steel, cheap and easy to work with. I have a sand blasting job coming up in a couple of weeks and I may build a new nozzle out of that.

Ok great, these are the suggestions I'm looking for. I checked and can get 1/2 x 3 foot of W1 for $11.21. I'm going to order that and see how that works out. Then get some education on hardening the stuff. The cabinet blaster gets a workout and it will be nice not to have to order nozzles if this works

The last time I had to replace a nozzle I just used a hardened drill bushing, that was about 200 lbs of media ago....still working.

I've had one of their machines for years and use it a lot. I switched to the carbide nozzles maybe 10 yrs ago, They last a looong time. Mike

Back