Blast Cabinet Nozzle

I’m going to throw this out there. About 40 years ago we had carbide stock (in a soft machinable state) that could be machined then heat treated. I just did a net search today and found nothing? I still have a chunk of the stuff in my shop. Maybe someone else can add to this maybe lost material? Would make an excellent blast nozzle project…Dave.

Thanks Jim. What is UHMW? I have a big outside blaster that gets a lot of use as well. It sounds like you do some blasting and understand the frustration having to order nozzles. W

Thanks Jim. What is UHMW? I have a big outside blaster that gets a lot of use as well. It sounds like you do some blasting and understand the frustration having to order nozzles. W

Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene plastic. HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) is a slightly lighter molecular weight material with roughly the same properties. Used in many industrial anti wear applications. One of the most common uses is in heavy chain runs for material handling systems and low speed bearings. The stuff machines very easy with sharp tools, but is incredibly tough and wear resistant. Almost impossible to sand. Inexpensive and very available from many vendors.

The steel nozzles wear quickly so does the ceramic. I have been buying the carbide nozzles I get them with the medium size hole. I would recommend that after each use loosen the set screw that holds the nozzle and rotate the nozzle about 15* this will make them last longer since you are not wearing out the same spot. I would try the hole in the nozzle a little smaller than you think you will need to compensate for the wear. Let us know how the tool steel works out

I've had one of their machines for years and use it a lot. I switched to the carbide nozzles maybe 10 yrs ago, They last a looong time. Mike

Yup same thing here. After replacing enough nozzles to buy several carbide ones I finally bought the carbide and haven't replaced it in years. My blaster gets a lot of use also.

I’m going to throw this out there. About 40 years ago we had carbide stock (in a soft machinable state) that could be machined then heat treated. I just did a net search today and found nothing? I still have a chunk of the stuff in my shop. Maybe someone else can add to this maybe lost material? Would make an excellent blast nozzle project…Dave.
I think what you are talking about is Carpenter K-W tool steel. It was used for making extrusion and drawing dies. One of it's biggest benefits was working in a soft state and then hardening. It could be annealed and reworked many, many times. Many gun barrel makers used this for the cutting tool in the rifling machines. Too bad it hasn't been made in about 35 yrs.......

I think what you are talking about is Carpenter K-W tool steel. It was used for making extrusion and drawing dies. One of it's biggest benefits was working in a soft state and then hardening. It could be annealed and reworked many, many times. Many gun barrel makers used this for the cutting tool in the rifling machines. Too bad it hasn't been made in about 35 yrs.......
Thank you for touching bases. But sorry, that’s not the same stuff. The material I’m talking about is black in color and kinda looks like carbon and when heat treated it resembles Carbide.

thanks for all the knowledgeable replies guys. I will have to do some experimenting or just start buying their carbide nozzles, that's no fun tho. Paul

A guy I know make his own from 0-1 and hardens them. They last a long enough time. You could also try harbor freight nozzles they are pretty cheap if they would fit. I think uhmw would erode in no time at all.

Back