Boring bar holder ineffective

This is how I modify the cheap boring bar holders. One is a Phase II 250-304 and the other is a Shars 250-341. The stainless screws are the modification.

20240404_122411.jpg

ETA: These things are heat treated so they weren't super easy to drill and tap. Lol!

Last edited:
Are you sure it is a 1/2" and not a 12mm boring bar?

Yep, I have a similar BXA holder for a half inch boring bars. All my boring bars are 12mm instead of the needed 12.7mm (1/2") needed diameter.

NO it won't reach Just make a new sleeve.

Would you mind posting a picture of your sleeve please? I think it is just a tube split in two but a picture would confirm if the picture in my mind is correct.

This is how I modify the cheap boring bar holders. One is a Phase II 250-304 and the other is a Shars 250-341. The stainless screws are the modification.

View attachment 485416

ETA: These things are heat treated so they weren't super easy to drill and tap. Lol!
That's about the best thing you could do with these.

The only thing better than that style is one of these old Armstrong types.

bbholder.jpg

Would you mind posting a picture of your sleeve please? I think it is just a tube split in two but a picture would confirm if the picture in my mind is correct.
, it looks the same as the sleeve that came with it, but a lot rougher since I was in a rush.
the one on the left is the one I made
PXL_20240405_004835260.jpg

Found a use for the sleeve that came with the 1"- 3/4" Phase II boring bar holder. I put the slot at 9:00 and pinched down nice and tight with the set screws I installed on my 3/4" Top Notch threading bar and it is nice and snug.

20240405_162955.jpg

20240405_163014.jpg

Up front, I admit I only read this 1st page. You cannot compress any number of slit collars by pushing on the slit. In your picture the outer collar is correctly 90 degrees from the compression screws. However, that collar needs the inner collar lined up with it's slit completely aligned with the outer collar sleeve before the adjustment screws can ever hope to clamp the tool you inserted. Hope you found the answer before now & happy cutting!!!

Back