Boring in the mill with lots of chatter. Ideas?

The bar isn't the issue . The stick out is . Think of boring on the lathe . You have a 12" boring bar , you're going to get chatter . You have a 2" bar , you're not . Cut that shank if that's the only holder it will fit .
Oh I’m cutting baby!!
Dave, could you show me your boring set up?
If it’s too dang cold out there I understand.
How you feeling.

I guess there’s no way to hold it directly in the 30 taper thing right?
I’m thinking that a 30 taper adapter for the boring head is the solution.
I had a think about my setup and the first time I used it I just stuck the straight shank in the er30 collet. But I remember it chattering.
Then I pulled out my MT3 collets and chucked it directly in the spindle.
Presto no more chatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing fairly well . Actually , I'm not in that bad of shape for the shape I'm in ! :grin: I sold every boring head I've ever owned Jeff . I have my Narex and my Wohlhaupter boring/facing heads left . Just thinning the herd out over the years . :encourage:

I'm doing fairly well . Actually , I'm not in that bad of shape for the shape I'm in ! :grin: I sold every boring head I've ever owned Jeff . I have my Narex and my Wohlhaupter boring/facing heads left . Just thinning the herd out over the years . :encourage:
You have a Wohlhaupter? Oh there is some suckage going on here.
They only cost about $3,000-$5,000 last time I looked.
Sweet tools though.

You have a Wohlhaupter? Oh there is some suckage going on here.
They only cost about $3,000-$5,000 last time I looked.
I kept my mini Wohlhaupter and the big Narex . I haven't looked at the prices these days but I sure remember what I shelled out for the Narex years back . You never saw the B/F ing heads ?

I was not even aware that Narex was into machine tools. They only recently made it to the states for Woodworking chisels and such.. So I wasn't familiar, but looking at their boring head, it looks as nice maybe even better than a Wohlhaupter.

I was not even aware that Narex was into machine tools. They only recently made it to the states for Woodworking chisels and such.. So I wasn't familiar, but looking at their boring head, it looks as nice maybe even better than a Wohlhaupter.
They've been around forever , and they ARE very nice heads . Either one will peel a tenth off with no problem . These two heads will be the last tools I'll ever sell . ( I hope ) :rolleyes: The two put together for size comparison. ;)

This is getting fun . I know where my sh** is down the basement and it's easy to find . :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_8954.JPG
    IMG_8954.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8955.JPG
    IMG_8955.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8956.JPG
    IMG_8956.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8957.JPG
    IMG_8957.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 32
I had a big Narex, cost about $2700 as I recall about 30 years ago, I think, I used it on my Universal HBM and the #3 P&W jig borer; I was not too impressed with its ridgidity on the HBM, chattering. A nice boring/facing head for smaller mills is the Chandler Duplex, very nice, have one now with 30 taper mount; shanks are interchangeable on them.

What’s the best way to do this? I’ve sometimes held a 6” scale on the tool’s top surface, but sometimes by eye.
Lay the flat part of sliding part of the head on a flat surface; I use the anvil on my vise next to the mill. Now eyeball the flat on top of the tool so it is parallel to that flat surface. Your eye can get it straight to within a few tenths this way - good enough, I think.

Back