Boring in the mill with lots of chatter. Ideas?

You should get a boring head with a 30 taper shank and mount directly into the spindle taper; way too much overhang, no wonder it chatters.
After a quick search, it appears these heads unscrew and i did find a 30 taper that is pretty cheap. Good enough for the Shars boring head.I think I’m making progress here.
Thanks

And that's all that matters ! :encourage:
In fact,
I just bought a 30 taper from Shars for $42 shipped. Plus, It has the correct draw bar threads, hard to find. They are usually metric.
It came apart really easily.
I guess I could make a metric draw bar. Never threaded metric. You know my Colchester can do it, the question is, can the operator handle it?

Attachments

• BB9318A6-18F9-4F66-A701-1E8E8E3D5531.jpeg
    BB9318A6-18F9-4F66-A701-1E8E8E3D5531.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 14
I guess I could make a metric draw bar. Never threaded metric. You know my Colchester can do it, the question is, can the operator handle it?
Of course you can ! You can't mess up a G job , just call it revision 1A or whatever . If you get up to rev 9Z , well , we'll have a heck of a fun thread to follow . :grin:

Way too much money for what it is, keep looking, Jeff
Seemed pretty reasonable to me. $29 for the part. $15 for Fed X to get it here was the cheapest.
I am on a fixed income now. We’ll see what the boss says when she does the bills. I haven’t spent a dime in three weeks.

Seemed pretty reasonable to me. $29 for the part. $15 for Fed X to get it here was the cheapest.
I am on a fixed income now. We’ll see what the boss says when she does the bills. I haven’t spent a dime in three weeks.
Perhaps I read it wrong, it is a affordable product after all.

I wouldn't grind that for $30 :) Maybe add an extra 0 to the end.

Back