Bottle jack seals

I misspelled pi. Pi R squared is the formula for area of a circle. R is the radius, which is half the diameter. I tried to simplify by saying multiply 1/2D, which is equal to R, by 1/2D. Then multiply that by pi, which is 3.14.

For instance, a 1.5" bore has a radius of .75. To get R squared, you multiply .75 by .75 = .5625 and multiply that by pi, .5625 times 3.14 = 1.76625 square inches. Divide the 24,000 pounds (12 tons) by the 1.76625 = 13,588 pounds per square

So for my 1.75" bore puts the cylinder pressure close to 10000 psi. Thank you for the clarification.

So i got it back together and it seems to work. I cannot get it to seal at the bottom of the resivoir though. There was no seal there when it came apart. I have since put a rubber seal in there but no luck. Anyone know the secret to getting this to seat?

Just from the look of the outside, my bet would be you have dirt in the seal area preventing it from fully seating.

Just from the look of the outside, my bet would be you have dirt in the seal area preventing it from fully seating.
I cleaned it all with kerosene while it was apart. If you look closely, you can see a shiny ring around the base of the resivoir where it was cleaned with a scotch brite wheel. It doesn't just weep oil, it is a significant leak.

Is it threaded on?
Could a petrolium thread sealer work?

Try bluing in the contact surface that leaks by applying Dyekem or Sharpie and seeing where it gets rubbed off then the reservoir is installed. Mark the alignment of the reservoir so you always install it the same way.

If it has a high spot, try assembling it different ways by "clocking" the reservoir, turning it a little and rechecking for even contact. The base or reservoir could have warped over the ages.

It is also possible that the groove originally had a rubber seal at the bottom and someone left it out during a previous repair.

Try bluing in the contact surface that leaks by applying Dyekem or Sharpie and seeing where it gets rubbed off then the reservoir is installed. Mark the alignment of the reservoir so you always install it the same way.

If it has a high spot, try assembling it different ways by "clocking" the reservoir, turning it a little and rechecking for even contact. The base or reservoir could have warped over the ages.

It is also possible that the groove originally had a rubber seal at the bottom and someone left it out during a previous repair.
I will try this for sure. Good idea. Thank you

Back