Bought a lathe, any ideas on unloading from pickup bed ?

Congratulations on getting your lathe unloaded safely! I'm sure the pressure of the truck rental cost was NOT helpful in making your plans and working slowly and carefully. Good on ya!

Great job!! Now tell me about the 911 in the back round ;) 911SC, 2-912's and a 914 in our stable among others :grin:
That’s my 912 project. It’s a 76 912 which is a weird car, it’s a 911 “parts bin special”, the factory used a leftover VW bus engine, bus brakes and older 911 shocks. Prev owner blew the engine and swapped in another VW engine.

My plan is to build a period correct Subaru swap, and I want it to look and feel like it could have been a factory prototype. So I’m going with a light normally aspirated SOHC Subaru 2.5, with STi bottom end and block, custom cams, forged pistons, all that. I’m an electrical engineer at my day job, so custom ECU. Currently making stealth radiators that are completely tucked under the headlights. Basically stealing the Porsche 996 radiator design. I’m doing goofy stuff to make it look factory like using a modified 914 2.0 air filter box, and wiring loom with the 1970’s German gray plastic covering.

I currently have a 964 bumper mocked up, was planning on malign some chrome grills in place of the fog lights as air intakes, but I’m not sure, maybe I should go with an RuF styled lower valence and use the impact bumper, not sure.

Attachments

• 2972E1E5-C6B5-4666-AD20-33C7A583B2E9.jpeg
    2972E1E5-C6B5-4666-AD20-33C7A583B2E9.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 23
  • B0422F9B-DA70-4471-BCF6-69D07415E804.jpeg
    B0422F9B-DA70-4471-BCF6-69D07415E804.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 23
  • C9A5B065-A1BC-4322-8451-CDA1BE20694C.jpeg
    C9A5B065-A1BC-4322-8451-CDA1BE20694C.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 23
Best advice is to remember you can’t move these things with muscle, you have to move them with your brain.

Lathe-a-kinesis?

Andy, I am very glad you had a non-exciting and successful move of that lathe from truck bed to stand.
It shows that you did follow John's (@matthewsx ) advice and use your brain.

Nice car!

-brino

That’s my 912 project. It’s a 76 912 which is a weird car, it’s a 911 “parts bin special”, the factory used a leftover VW bus engine, bus brakes and older 911 shocks. Prev owner blew the engine and swapped in another VW engine.

My plan is to build a period correct Subaru swap, and I want it to look and feel like it could have been a factory prototype. So I’m going with a light normally aspirated SOHC Subaru 2.5, with STi bottom end and block, custom cams, forged pistons, all that. I’m an electrical engineer at my day job, so custom ECU. Currently making stealth radiators that are completely tucked under the headlights. Basically stealing the Porsche 996 radiator design. I’m doing goofy stuff to make it look factory like using a modified 914 2.0 air filter box, and wiring loom with the 1970’s German gray plastic covering.

I currently have a 964 bumper mocked up, was planning on malign some chrome grills in place of the fog lights as air intakes, but I’m not sure, maybe I should go with an RuF styled lower valence and use the impact bumper, not sure.
Very Nice!! You are fortunate , as where I live you would have to have it smog legal:rolleyes: Looking forward to more as you go!;)

Very Nice!! You are fortunate , as where I live you would have to have it smog legal:rolleyes: Looking forward to more as you go!;)
California right? 1975 and newer, it’s hard to do much there. The real irony is that swapping to a modern water cooled engine with modern ECU and wide band O2 like I’m doing is many many times cleaner than that crappy old L-jetronic air-cooled engine.

I’ve got a build thread on FB here, but might move it to a more open site:

https://facebook.com/ArrowBlau

I’ve been busy rebuilding my mill so haven’t worked in the car for a while.

Yes, Calif. 1976 and on are doomed to the smog curse:<( There is a rumor of a possible change up 1981, but I'm not holding my breath ;)

Andy,
The Porsche work is impressive, as have your scraping efforts. I think you're the closest person on here that I've noticed, hello from SW Indiana. Good luck getting your lathe working, hopefully it doesn't turn into as much of a project as the mill!

Andy,
The Porsche work is impressive, as have your scraping efforts. I think you're the closest person on here that I've noticed, hello from SW Indiana. Good luck getting your lathe working, hopefully it doesn't turn into as much of a project as the mill!
Thanks. At least with automotive engineering, that's what I know about, and didn't have have to learn it as I went along like scraping the mill.

Checked out the lathe, and it's in good shape, about all I've got to do is change the oil, level it, and maybe fix a seal. I was blown away with the spindle runout: literally under 50 millionths! Turns out the Central Machinery version of this lathe uses angular contact instead of rollers, maybe that's why. I've got a few upgrades planned though: 3-phase with VFD, DRO, and electronic lead screw.

That D-4 cam lock is pretty impressive, centered a pin in the 4-jaw, and repeats within a tenth taking the chuck on and off.

Sure seems like a more rigid lathe than my Clausing 5428, as pushing on the bed or headstock would move the tenths indicator between the spindle and saddle on the Clausing, but this one doesn't budge.

Yes, Calif. 1976 and on are doomed to the smog curse:<( There is a rumor of a possible change up 1981, but I'm not holding my breath ;)
Calif smog laws are so stupid with classic cars, just plain idiotic that you're not allowed to upgrade a crappy old polluting, inefficient 1970's engine with a modern, efficient one. Frankly, I think it should just be a tailpipe test, where you should be able to do any mod, as long as it doesn't increase the pollution specs of that model year. That's how Colorado does it, simple, easy tailpipe test.

Back