BP 2J Rebuild

Fair enough! Here's how I did it:

Firstly I removed the quill feed trip mechanism from the head:
1 - Trip parts removed.JPG

This is what comes off. It's a good time to clean it all up and check it all looks fit. On mine, the "ball reverse lever" was a bit bent but I was able to straighten it out without breaking it.
2 - Feed trip parts.JPG

I then butchered the quill stop knob so that I had a feature to locate on and a couple of threaded holes (you can see this happening in the first pic). I'm quite happy to perpetrate this kind of damage on my machine tools, as you can see from the final picture:
3 - Quill stop knob modified.JPG

I then made up a bracket that mated with this feature and extended out to where the scale slider would be:
4 - Scale bracket.JPG

Here's the scale mounted to the head and a view showing the slider mounted to the quill stop knob using this bracket:
5 - How it fits together.JPG

This is what it looks like with all the bits back in place and the scale assembled:
6 - Final assembly.JPG

You can see the 2 Z scales here - the quill scale which I use for drilling and boring at the top and the knee scale which is more useful for heavy machining which requires the whole table to be raised at the bottom. Both have their uses and I go round the back of the DRO to swap the plugs over if needed. I suppose I could use both at the same time if I ever needed to by unplugging the X or Y axis instead but that seems unlikely.
7 - Both Z axes visible.JPG

Cutting the scale down to size was another exercise - there's a glass scale inside the scale housing that you need to shorten but it's actually fairly straightforward if you just think it through carefully. There's also a zero datum point that you don't want to accidentally lose in the process by cutting off the wrong piece!

Hope you find this interesting. I only did it because I had a spare scale left over but in the end I'd recommend it if you have the motivation and means to do so.

Muzz

Trip parts removed.JPG 1 - Trip parts removed.JPG 2 - Feed trip parts.JPG 3 - Quill stop knob modified.JPG 4 - Scale bracket.JPG 5 - How it fits together.JPG 6 - Final assembly.JPG 7 - Both Z axes visible.JPG

Today I finally got around to doing the last thing to this rebuild. I still had not adjusted the pivot pin for the speed change plate. So I new the RPM dial was not indicating true spindle speed.

pazesytu.jpg

When I put the belt housing together I just set the pivot pin by the whiteness marks. I figured it would be close.

As you can see the spindle was running about 180 RPM faster the the speed dial indicated.

ebu3ynan.jpg

A couple of turns of the pivot pin and right on the money.

negu7yqu.jpg

It's right on from the bottom end to about 1800.

ubupu5aj.jpg

I tested it up to 3000RPM and it slowly starts to move of the mark above 1800.

ajemezah.jpg

I can live with it being off 27 RPM at 3k since ill never run it that fast anyway.

pazesytu.jpg

ebu3ynan.jpg

negu7yqu.jpg

ubupu5aj.jpg

ajemezah.jpg

Great work .
I will be starting a rebuild soon also.
It almost looks to good to use
Al

I must admit, I'm jealous! Very nice work and now, what a beautiful machine! She's almost too pretty too use now. I think the best part of this whole thing is the time spent with your son and the memories, and maybe the machine, he'll have.

Today I finally got around to doing the last thing to this rebuild. I still had not adjusted the pivot pin for the speed change plate. So I new the RPM dial was not indicating true spindle speed.

pazesytu.jpg

When I put the belt housing together I just set the pivot pin by the whiteness marks. I figured it would be close.

As you can see the spindle was running about 180 RPM faster the the speed dial indicated.

ebu3ynan.jpg

A couple of turns of the pivot pin and right on the money.

negu7yqu.jpg

It's right on from the bottom end to about 1800.

ubupu5aj.jpg

I tested it up to 3000RPM and it slowly starts to move of the mark above 1800.

ajemezah.jpg

I can live with it being off 27 RPM at 3k since ill never run it that fast anyway.

Any way "SPEEDS ARE APPROXIMATE" though i don't know if i can live with 1% inacurracy

• :roflmao:

You might be supprised.... This Chart shows that a 1/4 endmill @ 200 sfm runs at 3056 RPM. And keep in mind, that in Aluminum, you can run 400-1000 sfm with HSS tools :)

Outstanding Job on the BP and I also like your Tee shirt on the video. :thumbzup3:

You might be supprised.... This Chart shows that a 1/4 endmill @ 200 sfm runs at 3056 RPM. And keep in mind, that in Aluminum, you can run 400-1000 sfm with HSS tools :)

I know the charts show some high RPM for the smaller dia. Tooling but that doesn't mean I'll run the old girl that fast. :)

Awesome!
Outstanding work and quite an inspiration.
That's it. I'm buying a good used BP and doing the same thing.

Back