BP 2J Rebuild

Well you're asking a guy who has never sold anything except a few old cars. It would take someone offering a ridiculous amount for me to sell it.

Well you're asking a guy who has never sold anything except a few old cars. It would take someone offering a ridiculous amount for me to sell it.

You spend $7000 in it, how many hours? 150, 200? About $3000 to $4000 at a cheap rate of $20/hr...Your already over $10,500 before making a profit...A new one like yours cost $17,500, you saved $10,500 doing the job yourself! They need to propose a INSANE amount of money to convince you to sell this beauty. We talking about labor of love here! :))

You spend $7000 in it, how many hours? 150, 200? About $3000 to $4000 at a cheap rate of $20/hr...Your already over $10,500 before making a profit...A new one like yours cost $17,500, you saved $10,500 doing the job yourself! They need to propose a INSANE amount of money to convince you to sell this beauty. We talking about labor of love here! :))

I'm not sure the total hrs we have into it. I think your close at 150-200. It was no weekend project. LOL

Here's the other part of it. My 13 year old son was right along side me throughout the build doing whatever he could to help. One day I hope it's in his shop and every time he's uses it he thinks of the fun we had rebuilding it together. That to me Is priceless.

I'm not sure the total hrs we have into it. I think your close at 150-200. It was no weekend project. LOL

Here's the other part of it. My 13 year old son was right along side me throughout the build doing whatever he could to help. One day I hope it's in his shop and every time he's uses it he thinks of the fun we had rebuilding it together. That to me Is priceless.

I'm a father of 3 boys, trust me wen I tell you I know what you mean..My younger son have been with me for 2 months this summer (He live with is mother), He tell me he learn more spending two month with me then leaving 10 years with is mom and husband....He finish his school program in November and he ask me to come living with me...Yep I know what priceless mean...

This Bridgeport is a special one...No money can buy this one :))

Back in post #10 you said that you converted the bushing on the x axis of your Millrite to the two piece design. Any details? My Millrite has a lot of slop on the x-axis (screw itself is good, the nut is worn) and I am getting to the point of fixing it. I live less than 20 minutes from Morrison but their replacement nut is apparently made of gold, not bronze.
Mike

Here are some pics of me splitting my nuts(!).

This is what I found - single piece replacement bronze nuts. Not pretty - and worn.
DSC08238.JPG

After parting off with a std 1/8" tool and cleaning up. Note the (original) key.
DSC08245.JPG

Back in its housing, with adjuster nut and keep nuts. These were original, so presumably it shipped with 2-part nuts when new:
DSC08255.JPG

Both nuts modified and refitted, ready to go back in:
DSC08257.JPG

Back in the saddle:
DSC08260.JPG

View of the Y axis adjusters, handle removed, looking into the saddle:
DSC08262.JPG

Of course, the leadscrews are still worn, more in the middle than the ends, so if I eliminate all backlash at the middle, it will force my half nuts apart(!) and bend the adjuster screws. And I'll still have backlash in the middle. You have to be sensible! A big improvement though. And with a DRO, the backlash becomes less important. That was the next modification....

Muzzer

DSC08238.JPG DSC08245.JPG DSC08255.JPG DSC08257.JPG DSC08260.JPG DSC08262.JPG

Wonderful build, now you have the machine you always wanted. The only question I have is why not all 3 axis DRO? Lovely machine!
Nelson Collar

Wonderful build, now you have the machine you always wanted. The only question I have is why not all 3 axis DRO? Lovely machine!
Nelson Collar

That's a question I ask myself every time I use it.

Completely agree. I installed a 3 axis DRO on my clone and a lot of stuff that was painful has become quick simple and deadly accurate.

I made a mistake when I specified the Z scale for the knee and ended up with an extra scale. I cut that down and fitted it to the quill so I now have a choice of Z axes. For heavy stuff I use the knee scale and for drilling and boring I use the quill scale.

Completely agree. I installed a 3 axis DRO on my clone and a lot of stuff that was painful has become quick simple and deadly accurate.

I made a mistake when I specified the Z scale for the knee and ended up with an extra scale. I cut that down and fitted it to the quill so I now have a choice of Z axes. For heavy stuff I use the knee scale and for drilling and boring I use the quill scale.

This post would be much better with a picture :)

Back