BP 2J Rebuild

Now It's time for you to restore that Millrite for the kid....I promise to be a good listener...:))

I would like to some day rebuild the Millrite but it's way down on the list. It's a great mill and the 500 bucks I bought it for was the best money I have ever spent.

Thanks again guys for all the comments on the BP.

Back in post #10 you said that you converted the bushing on the x axis of your Millrite to the two piece design. Any details? My Millrite has a lot of slop on the x-axis (screw itself is good, the nut is worn) and I am getting to the point of fixing it. I live less than 20 minutes from Morrison but their replacement nut is apparently made of gold, not bronze.
Mike

Back in post #10 you said that you converted the bushing on the x axis of your Millrite to the two piece design. Any details? My Millrite has a lot of slop on the x-axis (screw itself is good, the nut is worn) and I am getting to the point of fixing it. I live less than 20 minutes from Morrison but their replacement nut is apparently made of gold, not bronze.
Mike

Mike, I modified bushing for BP using Millrite.

That makes more sense, I couldn't figure out how a Millrite bushing could be a 2 piece.

Added a shield for the column plus the seal for the way covers had a tiny gap the chips kept getting in. It also stops that from happening.

uvumynys.jpg

ugehybab.jpg
you did a really good job. was it cost effective at the end of the dayk? or would it havee been cheaper to buy a new one

I'm curious about that too.

If you ignore the painting, what kind of costs did you hit on the new parts and the rebuild / grind/scrape labour?

There's a rusty one here that I'd love to redo but I just don't know how smart it would be for me.

So here's a breakdown

Machine 3500
Re grind and scrap 2400
Spindle rebuild 600
Paint and the rest 800

So about 7300 for the rebuild.

I guess it's up to you if it's worth it. It's a like new or better than new BP for less than half the cost of a new BP. You can get a China built machine for less. In a home shop I'm sure it would be just fine.

WOW! that is one of the best rebuilds I have ever seen.

Well Done!

I know what is involved with tearing down machinery and its no picnic .......

exceptional restoration....

B,

I'm thinking that selling it would be akin to selling your first born but... what is a total restoration like your excellent job worth if you were to consider selling ???

VERY NICE!

Regards,

OR

Back