BP Power Feed Shaft Project w/?

Projectnut-When you made your coupling does it but up against the roller bearing?I just measure length for my coupling it looks like it needs to be 3” long to butt against roller bearing.One I have is to short if this is case,so another project I guess

No. My coupling sits tight against the threads on the lead screw and leaves about 1/4" of the shaft showing between it and the back of the plate the power feed is attached to. The coupling I replaced was 2 1/4" long and would rub against the back of the mounting plate. I don't see any need to extend the coupling through the plate to the bearing.

Thank goodness,I was getting nervous.Back to plan A. Thanks for responding so quickly,off this week hoping to finish this

Guys now that I know that don’t need make another coupling it’s time move on to next step.Thats figuring out the shims that goes between roller bearing and the brass gear.How does person tell when it’s good fit? Na I’m not almost finish,I still have cut key ways for the new shaft at coupling and the key way for brass gear. Cutting key ways be first for me so going watch few YouTube’s before give it try.

Attachments

• 32190095-241D-4D29-83F0-EC1DDD762D92.jpeg
    32190095-241D-4D29-83F0-EC1DDD762D92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 1D928EB0-1259-4C0D-811B-2F7175EB1826.jpeg
    1D928EB0-1259-4C0D-811B-2F7175EB1826.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Guys after reading Projectnut response I am clear to go. Then thinking about my question if you look on shaft there is a .812 OD then for the bushing that fits in the roller bearings OD is .790 I believe so that shoulder is what keeps the bushing from working its way towards the coupling. Today I was able to fit the new shaft with the coupling using the taper pin to connect the two.Thank goodness for DRO's and guys here who help me with that project. So for bout 10th time install the PF with all the parts, so what is left for me to do is cut the key way for the brass gear then drill a hole for a roll pin for the handle to the shaft. Finally pretty up the end where the nut goes. In this pic I power it up just to hear it run,so far so good.

Attachments

• PF2.jpg
    PF2.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PF3.jpg
    PF3.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 17
What a way to start the day,well setting up to cut the key way in shaft which I was thinking that its 1/8 but its not. Checking it with my key set and nothing fits,so close but so far. So I get my gage block set(that's missing few) started checking and the .119 is a winner. But wait, .119 what kind of size is that .119 so I went metric shopping found nothing. So that leaves me with broaching an 1/8 key way but I don't think my set is for that deep of a key way. Checking :)

One more update on the X power feed on my Bridgeport. When unpacking all the pieces I was growling that it seemed I was missing a couple. After searching high and low I finally did find everything I needed. On the you tube installation clip they show about a 1" black spacer that fits between the brass gear and the handle. On the later models the brass gear is extended and the spacer is unnecessary.

That was fairly obvious, but it still seemed the extension shaft from the original lead screw to the manual crank handle was a bit too short. I finally found the replacement nut that secures the handle to the shaft hiding in the corner of the box. With the power feed the handle no longer sits flush with the threads, but slightly overlaps them. When I was using the original nut to secure the handle there would be a few threads left showing due to the repositioning of the handle. The new nut actually slides inside the bore of the handle, so when it's properly installed there are no unused threads.

I be dang metric,McMaster sells them. Correction,smallest one they sell is 4mm. Wonder why 3mm, why not something more normal? Thanks never gave mm a thought.

You need one ?

Good morning mmcmdl, not sir I am going to broach it to 1/8 which is the size that I mill in shaft for a key way. Broaching is kinda new to me so looking forward to this. I done it once with 3/16 but that was couple yrs ago,so get to do this again:) Thank you for your offer

Back