Brand new machine arrives in used condition.

Paco, great trip report! Glad you got your new machine plus the taper attachment at a bargain!

Thanks for the photos of Acra. I see a shelf full of Align Power Feeds behind that lathe. I wonder if they are a distributor for those?

Look forward to some photos of the new lathe.

And, And, looks like you didn't need any of the spare tires - Good!
Now if you hadn't taken them along then what would have happened is . . .

As much of a pain in the tail this experience was, you will be looking at a nice machine for years to come and the memory of the shipping fiasco will fade. Wise move swapping it out. My wife always complains about me insisting I do stuff myself. This is why. Congrats.

Mine doesn't. In the past she would hire somebody, and then I would fix it. Now she just asks me. I wouldn't mind paying people if they did it right the first time, and didn't try to slap a bandaid over a bullet hole when they get called back.

So how do you plan to unload it? Looks like a 10K (or bigger?) forklift rental may be required.

nice work, glad to see you got back in one piece with no drama. Seems like it worked out well despite all the hassle.

BTW, if you want more crazy drivers you're welcome to come to San Antonio any time. My driving motto here is "ask for forgiveness, not permission", otherwise you'll get nowhere.

Nice machine and some fancy dancing too. Glad to here the trip went well. I like the acra line of machines. Good luck get some rest , then get back to your new baby. Pure envy yupp

So how do you plan to unload it? Looks like a 10K (or bigger?) forklift rental may be required.
No worries, Paco has a monster forklift. He's likely out there on it as I write this.

Paco, waiting anxiously for the evening report!

Well fellas,
Thanks for all the well wishes. After walking the "booqies" (yes I have many names for them) I unloaded and put everything back like it never happened. Mark's (mksj) timing was impeccable as I was just starting to remove the shrink wrap on the machine. Mark wasted no time in heading for the electrical cabinet and motor housing. I started cleaning off the cosmoline with minimal spirits. All I can say is WOW! this is one very nice machine. The fit and finish is second to none. Heres a short video of the manufacturing plat that makes many higher end machines in Taiwan, this one included.

The end cover removed. The blue gear is a sacrificial gear incase of a crash. I have never crashed a lathe but probably a good idea to have.
The three drive belts are powered by a large 5HP motor. The spindle bore is 2-1/16"
IMG_2768.JPG
The motor area was extremely clean and smooth with no casting flashing or remnants of sand, primed and finished well. The brake drum is incorporated into the drive pulley. Nice belt tensioning system.
IMG_2769.JPG
The electrical cabinet has plenty of room for expansion, very clean and organized.
IMG_2770.JPG
The blue finish is a textured powder coat.
IMG_2771.JPG
The machine measures 7' in length. and 51" tall at the headstock. Look at the paint finish on the cast. Absolutely flawless with a beautiful shine.
IMG_2772.JPG
The 8" 3 jaw chuck has a beautiful ground finish as does the exposed surfaces. The 10" 4 jaw is still in the box. ran out of time to check it out.
IMG_2773.JPG
The headstock, look at all those thread/feed options.
IMG_2774.JPG
The dials are very nice as well. The collars rotate 360º for english/metric readings with an indexing ball for a nice click.
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
The apron is equally impressive. Single shot lubrication(brass knob) for the ways, cross feed, and compound. Push and lube, very cleaver feature.
The round lower push/pull knob reverses the carriage and cross feed direction while the spindle remains in motion. The engagement lever also has a brass flip top oiler. A large site glass to monitor oil level.
IMG_0275.JPG
One of four ball oilers. Each dial has one and two found on the tailstock. the rest is done from the single shot system.
IMG_0279.JPG
The tail stock is is a 4 m/t with very sharp readable graduations and extends 6". It also hd alignment graduations on the base below the hand wheel.
IMG_0281.JPG
The lead screw (1.125") feed rod and switch rod terminate into a large lube block.
IMG_0282.JPG
The induction hardened bed measures 10.125" in width.
IMG_0287.JPG
The flood coolant feed is all metal flex hose with a regular ball valve.
IMG_0283.JPG
A shot of the top of the carriage, super nice fit and finish.
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
The steady and follow rest are also nice quality. The steady is equipped with roller bearings and the follow rest is designed to rotate onto the bolts without the need to remover them completely. The same paint quality on both.
IMG_0290.JPG
Didn't have time to check out the taper attachment. Notice the table indicated its for a RML 1640. Same machine Sun Master builds for Kent machines. The Micro carriage stop had the same tag.
IMG_0291.JPG
Have'nt had time to peruse the manual yet or tolerance sheet but I think I'll be pleased based on the overall machine quality.
The box under the manual is a 10" 4-jaw. The tool box had carbide tip centers, tools and cast iron foot pads for leveling the machine.
IMG_0292.JPG
While cleaning the machine, Mark modified the light to take an LED bulb.
IMG_0285.JPG
I need to order a 48" LED light bar for the back splash. These can be found inexpensive on eBay. I used one on the 1440 and love the light it puts out. Aside from Marks control system, we will also install an hour meter, 3 axis DRO, and tail stock DRO. It looks like the machine will remain in the center of bay #1 for a spell. I still have the 1440 in service and will machine a spider for the tach and SFM readout combo. Gonna have to design a spreader bar system for locating the machine in place. At last she's home!
IMG_0289.JPG
Thank you all for following along and warm blessings.
I think I'll need to start another thread for the modifications unless you guys think it should remain here. What say you?
Take care amigos.

IMG_0284.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you and your new baby made it home safe.
Good score on the taper attachment.
I drove through LA in the mid 80's, have to agree back then the drivers were d**k's. Was back again about 2000 with a crew cab one ton pulling a 30 foot travel trailer, forgot about the time zone coming from Arizona and hit the city about 5:30 heading for a camp ground on Anaheim Blvd. The drivers were incredible, if I put on a signal they'd make room for me to change lanes every time. Maybe they were afraid to cut off a crazy Canadian,

Greg
Thanks Greg, apparently some CA drivers have a distaste for Arizonans! hahahah. If and when I drive back to CA, I'll need to use a Canadian plate:cool:
Paco

As much of a pain in the tail this experience was, you will be looking at a nice machine for years to come and the memory of the shipping fiasco will fade. Wise move swapping it out. My wife always complains about me insisting I do stuff myself. This is why. Congrats.
It already faded! Still tired but then again it was a full day with only 5.5 hours of sleep since the trip.
Thanks amigo!

Back