Brand new machine arrives in used condition.

Paco, great trip report! Glad you got your new machine plus the taper attachment at a bargain!

Thanks for the photos of Acra. I see a shelf full of Align Power Feeds behind that lathe. I wonder if they are a distributor for those?

Look forward to some photos of the new lathe.

Hey Alan,
Its all good now. Acra is a neat playground, you'd be right at home as much coin as you spend on machines and tools:D.
They had all sorts of goodies, I cant say for sure if they sell individual items, but give them a call to see if what Tom can do.
They stock and build machines to order for many other machine distributors. You should see the shelves of motors they stock!

Take care,
Paco

And, And, looks like you didn't need any of the spare tires - Good!
Now if you hadn't taken them along then what would have happened is . . .
Thats right! Better to have it and not needed, than, well you know how I think by now.
Paco

Mine doesn't. In the past she would hire somebody, and then I would fix it. Now she just asks me. I wouldn't mind paying people if they did it right the first time, and didn't try to slap a bandaid over a bullet hole when they get called back.
Yeah, seems I have the same luck when service in involved. My wife wasn't crazy about the idea of driving there and back, but she know I prepare to the hilt. Its the other drivers she worries about.
So how do you plan to unload it? Looks like a 10K (or bigger?) forklift rental may be required.
The Hyster 50 made some creaking noise but handled the load just fine. I did have to rev a little to side shift.:eek:
Paco

Close Alan, At 12:51 I was already unloaded:chunky:.

But thanks for the vote of confidence non the less.

Have you TIG welded with that sweet machine yet?

Paco

Thanks Greg, worth the trouble in the end.
Paco

Oh, the heck with the lathe, I Spy a Toyota FJ lurking there in the background of the pictures!

For those of you that don't have a trailer and truck to pick things up for yourself. I highly recommend a company called "Long Haul Trucking" Their home base is in MN, but they haul all over the USA. The have hubs on the east and west coasts too. Their men are well dressed and speak English.

Their truck and trailers are new equipment and they use Conestoga flatbed trailers . If you not familiar with that sort of trailer. It looks like a regular semi trailer but it's a canvas top that is attached to a rolling frame so no tarping is needed. Weather proof. I also know Tom Dou at Acra personally and he is a good guy, but he also uses LTL truckers for the best price. Long Haul isn't cheap, but you get your monies worth.

I used to own a used machinery company and we always called Long Haul to haul the machine anywhere in North America and never had a problem or complaint. Rich

North East Riggers out of CT> are also good. Long hauls as well as short hauls.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, the heck with the lathe, I Spy a Toyota FJ lurking there in the background of the pictures!

Dan, that would be my 1982 DD. Originally sold at Camelback Toyota in Phx. Been a desert rat its whole life
She only gets 12MPG on a good day, but I love that rig.

Back