Britain said it was taking steps to return to the traditional system of imperial weights and measures

What would you say if the US were entirely metric... and then I told you that you had to buy all new Imperial fasteners and wrenches! You tool-aholics out there do not need to weigh in.
Robert

What would you say if the US were entirely metric... and then I told you that you had to buy all new Imperial fasteners and wrenches! You tool-aholics out there do not need to weigh in.
Robert
It would be pretty awful, expensive too.

Of course, here, in the US, we had to buy metric stuff if we wanted to work on our cars or motorcycles. Worldwide manufacturing uses almost exclusively metric.

I just want to be consistent. If you specify metric fasteners, draw it with metric dimensions, and vice versa. But at my job they draw Imperial and specify metric fasteners. I don't care much for that.
I don't have an opinion on what the UK government does. I have trouble enough dodging politics locally. Hostile work environment took on a whole new meaning in 2020. Lol

The ones wishing for the 1950's again more than likely never experienced them. Living in Britain in the years after WWII wasn't all that much fun, according to my wife. Food was still hard to come by with many resorting to small gardens to put food on the table. My father-in-law raised rabbits for protein for the table. Wages weren't that great and many lived in subsidized housing, sometimes several families. Coal was a main source of heat and air pollution resulted.

yes, but it doesn't stop people from thinking those were the golden years, before all this sexual revolution, women's rights and immigration stuff. Funnily enough I lived in NZ for a couple of years, which is a top destination for the "wish it were the 1950s" peeps, and although it was beautiful the houses were drafty, heating was by coal (or not at all) and air pollution was terrible in winter. Sounds kinda like what you're describing :)

Ah, the perennial Imperial vs metric thread. (pun intended) The same stale arguments from both sides of the aisle that are going to change no one’s mind. But it does pass the time, which I think should be converted to the metric system for those who have trouble dividing and multiplying by 366, 365, 52, 12, 28, 29, 30, 31, 4, 7, 24 and 60.

But, I love Imperial measurements. I just wish my car’s speedometer scale was marked in furlongs per fortnight.

Tom

I can't fathom how I would be able to get anything done if a piece of plywood wasn't 4' x 8'? Metric plywood thicknesses aready drive me crazy! How tall are ceilings in Europe and Canada? What is the size of a piece of sheet rock over there?

I was taught the Metric system in school in the 70's. Yes I wish we would have just done it and gotten it over with!

Back