Broken Atlas 10F Countershaft Pulley 560-060 / 9-427

RandyMcNally

Registered
Registered
The large 2-step horizontal countershaft pulley on my Atlas 10F survived 71 years until it met me. I pulled a bozo move and broke it in less than a year (1st pic below). On to a few questions...

1. Anyone have an extra pulley you’d be willing to sell? :)

2. I’m seeing used pulleys on eBay for $100. Or mymachineshop.net has the redesign aluminum pulley for $150 (2nd pic below). Does anyone have experience with and/or an opinion about the redesign aluminum pulleys?

Thanks for any info.

A4A8A199-9DC6-4D26-8E02-4FF1C49AADCE.jpeg

1606621940056.jpeg

Ouch , I'll bet that made a bang ! I think your answer depends on if you wanted to keep the lathe as it was built . I personally would go with the oem if it could be purchased off the bay . JMO .

@Ulma Doctor Thanks for the reply. That’s what I’m thinking, too. He calls it a heavy duty pulley, and specifically references the flimsy Zamak pulley. I’m hoping that means it will be exempt from the common wobble issues.

I’m still waiting to order anything until I call Clausing on Monday. I doubt they stock any of the cast parts, but it’s worth a phone call.

@mmcmdl Thanks for the reply. I would normally completely agree. But I’ve seen multiple people describe the same wobble issue I had with my pulley. The thought of spending $100 on an OEM replacement and getting a wobble as bad or worse as the one I had is disconcerting.

Oh and it did make a bang, indeed! Ha

I’m not always a bozo. I made the counter shaft bearing carriers shown in the picture. I used my brain when removing the pulley the first time, blocking the puller with some wood and being careful. I needed to remove it again after installing the bearing carriers, and that’s when Mr. Bozo showed up.

I had one of those classic thoughts that haunt you for two weeks: “Well, I just removed/reinstalled it. Everything is clean and oiled now. Surely I can put the puller straight onto it without any trouble..” Wrong! I felt the tension get way too high; I just kept on cranking like a ding dong.

I agree with you on that . The aluminum would be stronger and hopefully run a bit truer than the cast pulley . I'm just an old fart that likes old original iron . I'm finding out the replacement parts for these older lathes are worth more than a complete lathe when selling .

I sold an Atlas complete with tooling awhile back for $400 , should've parted it out !

For anyone wondering: it did not snap clean off like in the picture. Two of the spokes broke. I managed to break the remaining two during subsequent shenanigans. Not only did my mistake hurt emotionally & financially, but it also ruined my shop plans for the holiday weekend. So I’m out here screwing around with some JB Weld - out of sheer shop boredom, not any expectation of it working. I decided to rubber mallet the busted pulley back onto the shaft to check for perpendicularity as I clamped the arms. That’s when I managed to turn it into a 2-piece model.

Note that I’ve already decided I won’t have the stones to turn it on - in the unlikely event it even survives unclamping.

@mmcmdl Don’t go to the dark side! You did the honorable thing. I can’t stand seeing a parted out vintage machine on eBay. I try not to hurl my full judgment at the screen. It’s not like I have blueprints and can prove when they had a 100% whole machine. But I unload a good 90% of my judgment on the seller when I think it was whole ha

I know for a fact ..............3 piece models vs. one piece are a heck of alot easier to re-install on most equipment . We do it everyday in here at work ! :shhh:

Back