Broken Atlas 10F Countershaft Pulley 560-060 / 9-427

I appreciate all of your input.
That is an interesting discussion about Zamak vs. aluminum as it pertains to this application. I had not considered those points.
Robert, your encyclopedic insights are always appreciated.

You guys may have seen my comment a few moments ago on @kcoffield 's similar countershaft pulley thread, but I thought I'd post my update from today here, also:

Clausing does have the pulley in stock. I've only called them 3 times, and they've had all 3 parts in stock (half-nut scroll, carriage lock, and this countershaft pulley). That absolutely blows my mind.​
Ordered one today. $86 + shipping. In my giddiness, I forgot to ask him my total with shipping. Actually...one sec I'll check my bank. $111.04 to my door. So: holy crap on the shipping, but still a helluva deal compared to eBay - especially for an assumedly new part. And hopefully that means either a wobble free part, or I can hold them accountable for a wobbly part.​
He did confirm for me (well, via the picture in his system; he did not physically check the part on the shelf) this is the "Craftsman style" with 3 concentric weight-saving holes. It is not the "Atlas style" with 4 curved spokes/arms. He did not know which part number it is, only that 560-060 and 9-427 both cross-referenced to this 3-hole style he has in stock. And he said he has "a few" of them in stock.​
I asked a couple extracurricular questions about their vintage stock. Is there any rhyme or reason to which parts they do/don't stock? Without laughing at me, can you confirm there's nothing close to an inventory or catalogue for customers?​
I'll summarize his answers:​
  • No rhyme or reason. Some parts they have; some they don't.
  • They have parts to machinery (not limited to lathes, of course) going back to 1930's.
  • They sell "a lot" of this vintage stock.
  • Some of it is new old stock.
  • Some of the parts are actually manufactured new (this surprised me the most) - parts that sell well and they still have the prints for.
  • And sometimes when a NOS item is depleted, they still make this determination: was this a part that sold well, do we have the prints, cost evaluation of having this part manufactured, etc.
  • No catalogue or customer-accessible inventory, of course.
  • Oh and, in response to a comment I made, he acknowledged they are very much aware of the price-inflated eBay market, and giving customers a fair-price alternative is exactly what they strive to do.
fyi I've done a good amount of paraphrasing.​
Very interesting!​

That's great RMc, and great support by Clausing. Let us know what version of the pulley they shipped you....I'm guessing contemporary style 3-hole, 560-060.

Best,
Kelly

If Clausing still have the older 4 curved-spoke drawing, it is probably marked as Obsolete and/or/maybe "replaced by" and/or "Use 560-060, which is the pulley that came on my 3996.

Incidentally, the curved spokes is the way that most larger V-belt pulleys were made prior to the 1950's. So the designer in the early 1930's can hardly be blamed for making it the same way that everyone else did.

Randy,
When you receive the pulley from Clausing and try it on your lathe, please let us know if it runs true.
Thanks!
-Jon

Not a single balancing drill hole? Any on the back? Hmmmm. Wonder if they skipped that step?

Best,
Kelly

@kcoffield Nope, no balancing holes on either side. I hadn’t noticed that until you pointed it out. We’ll see how that works out... <raised eyebrow>

The new 560-060 pulley from Clausing is very well balanced. I’m very happy with it. I’m sure there is some minute imbalance but nothing visually obvious to me. It’s a night & day difference compared to the wobble I had with the OEM pulley before I broke it.

I took some video of it running, but then I ended up with 5 or 6 tangential clips - and I’d have to edit them & over-complicate the whole affair...because that’s kind of my thing. I thought I’d at least post a follow-up.

The new 560-060 pulley from Clausing is very well balanced. I’m very happy with it.

Good to hear. On balance, I've seen a number of pictures of that pulley and some had had balance machining and some were untouched, so must not be needed for some castings.

Best,
Kelly

Thank you Randy. I will have to get one from Clausing.

Back