Building a 10mm

Well the heat (late May early June is our hottest time of year) has pretty much kept me out of the shop, but I have managed to get the frame pretty much done. Now I need to machine the slide for the RMR red dot and co-witness sights. But I think I'll wait for the Monsoon Season to start here in a few weeks as that drops our temps down significantly.

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0562.jpeg

Yes. I've found that sharp 30 lpi (and even the 40 lpi on the mainspring housing of my Kimber) provides plenty of grip, but doesn't get painful or cause bleeding like my 20 lpi checkering did. I never bothered trying the 25 lpi checkering when that fad started as I had already switched to 30 and didn't need it.

horizontal 50 lpi looks nice on the back face of slides, often matches bomar sight blades.

Use cable ties as a mechanical stop under the trigger guard

I used two. I don't like frontstrap checkering too close to the trigger guard radius.

Still hot in the shop, but managed to make a bit of progress.

I blended the back of the slide and frame and it turned out pretty good, except for where I had a brain-spasm on the top cut of the ejector. It's functional, but I'll likely replace it someday as I'll get tired of looking at my screwup.

IMG_0566.jpeg

The lockup didn't turn out quite the way I wanted (I hand fit much of this stuff, and I have good days and not so good days), so I made a two-piece slide stop so I can make custom diameter pins to tighten up the lockup a bit more.

IMG_0567.jpeg

I also checkered the slide stop and milled a ledge on the underside so I can activate and release the slide stop with the trigger finger of my left hand. Works pretty good. :)

IMG_0568.jpeg

To be continued...

Looks great! I've been thinking about ordering a couple Jems Guns 80% frame. What bit did you use to cut the rails?

Back