Building a Drop Deck Motorcycle Trailer?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am thinking about building a drop deck motorcycle trailer. This would be my first trailer build project. I am looking for any advice, plans, suppliers, and other resources. The plans I have found so far are all metric and based on non-US parts and materials. Of course, I live and will be using in North America.;)
Your advice would be appreciated.

Randy

Hi Randy
How many bikes do you intend to haul? Total weight? Any other gear you intend to haul?

I have built four trailers over the years; a small trailer for a portable welder, a 4 x 8 utility trailer,, a firewood hauler holding a full ford of firewood' and a trailer for an 18' boat.
Welder Trailer 5 .JPGFor the welder trailer, I repurposed an old boat trailer, making it narrower and shorter.. It is intended for use on the property so no lights.

Here is a write up on the boat trailer.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/show-us-your-welding-projects.23505/page-8#post-287386, post # 72

I tend to use metal and parts that I have laying around and usually don't draw up plans. The boat trailer was the exception as I had specific design goals for that one.

A good source for trailer parts is Northern Tool. northerntool.com

2-3 touring bikes. 500-600# a bike. I already have a big trailer for shop stuff. ;^)

Here is the general idea.

Attachments

• glt-master-modelling.png
    glt-master-modelling.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I have only found one manufacturer in the US. Nowhere near me and very expensive 8^(

I have only found one manufacturer in the US. Nowhere near me and very expensive 8^(
Ahh, I have a completely different idea of what a "drop deck" trailer is. I recently rented one to move a bunch of machine equipment. I don't think it would be too difficult to make, but having one for an afternoon would be well worth the cost. I live in a small town, and was still able to get one locally.

I had a friend long ago, that was a vintage BMW fanatic -
He had it real bad, with bikes and parts stored everywhere in his house - His bedroom had a little path to the bed, through the parts.

Anyway, he didn't own a car, but had made a special sidecar for one of his bikes that had a ramp and platform, to take another bike whenever he found one he wanted to buy. I'd often see him riding with another empty bike by his side.

Last edited:
Back