Building a Drop Deck Motorcycle Trailer?

I really appreciate all the input :clapping:
The options of drop deck trailers are amazing. The lack of plans is the killer. I spent a lot of time (days) trying to make the Trailer Sauce plans work.
https://www.trailersauce.com/trailer-plans/ground-loading-trailer
After doing that, the estimated weight was going to be close to 1000 lbs. o_O
The Yo Remorques looked pretty simple and lightweight
It turns out that it has a proprietary independent suspension that I just can't figure out, even after putting together several models. The geometry is really sophisticated, and I don't do CAD. :bang head:
The Klinger, I guess will be my next effort. Lots of good pictures.
Thanks again.

Several decades ago, I built a dropped axle trailer for my L/ Michigan boat. It had a 6" drop and lowered the boat so that there was virtually no wind resistance. Along with surge brakes, it trailered like a dream. The only problem was the axle was low enough that it could catch on a hump in the toad. If I were doing it again, I would opt for a 4" drop.

However, the idea of a rotatable axle opens the possibility of a variable drop axle. Furthermore, if a means for raising or lowering it remotely were available, the drop could be adjusted on the road. The hydraulic trim/tilt on my outboard springs to mind.

Well, I spent the morning going over the Klinger drop bed. For the most part, I can pretty easily reverse engineer it. But as with many of the other trailers, the axles and suspension are not visible. I am presuming that it has got an independent suspension of some sort. Has anyone actually seen one of these and remembers how the axles are set up, or better yet a photograph?

Well, I spent the morning going over the Klinger drop bed. For the most part, I can pretty easily reverse engineer it. But as with many of the other trailers, the axles and suspension are not visible. I am presuming that it has got an independent suspension of some sort. Has anyone actually seen one of these and remembers how the axles are set up, or better yet a photograph?
I think this may be what you are looking for... https://www.dexteraxle.com/Products/Torsion-Axles/Torflex-Light-Duty

Being a drop deck, I can't use a regular axle. I have to use a half axel. The half axles I have looked at are about 13" wide. I have to mount it to the frame and allow clearance for the drop deck. The next problem is the torque load on that frame member. So assuming the trailer and load total 2000#, there will be @ 500ft lb. of torque on each frame member standing still. If the frame member can handle that much torque, it's still going to flex some. The view of the wheels from the back is going to look like the back of a 60s VW Bug riding down a rough road. Add in some bumps, I am wondering if that is going to fatigue my rectangular tubing.:chemist: I may be over thinking, but I am new to trailer design.
I am suffering from analysis paralysis.:eek: :)

Last edited:
Being a drop deck, I can't use a full axel. I have to use a half axel. The half axles I have looked at are about 13" wide. I have to mount it to the frame and allow clearance for the drop deck. The next problem is the torque load on that frame member. So assuming the trailer and load total 2000#, there will be @ 1000 ft lb. of torque on each frame member. If the frame member can handle that much torque, it's going to flex some. The view of the wheels from the back is going to look like the back of a 60s VW Bug riding down a rough road. Add in sume bump I am wondering if that is going to fatigue my rectangular tubing
Yeah, I understand; however, if you look those come in the setup you need, they work on a stub tube with a torsion bar inside and the offset leg holding the spindle is attached to the end of the torsion bar which acts as the suspension for some give to absorb the road shock. I do not think I still have the plans but I will look, I built one of these with my brother and we sold it several years ago. This also holds the wheels vertical and you can set them up to rotate to set the deck on the ground.

I just looked the one I sent you was a solid axle, same concept though.

So what your saying is you need to look for the patents for these designs so you can better understand their design?

This guy made one and even sells the plans...

Anybody have a old Subaru laying around?
Maybe late 70's or 80's

Back