Building my last shop

What a journey just to get to this point! Looks good though. Looks like you will be less weather dependent going forward.

Will that remain raw concrete or will you seal it?
Probably stay raw. The only stuff I have found that is actually any good is pretty expensive and this project is already way over budget. So I don't see spending the money.

Nice poor! I'm concerned about the exposed insulation. How are you planning to address that? Also, did you use any kind of radiant barier on the outside of the insulation, or was int one sided - just the white plastic on the inside?
I have metal sheeting that will go along the inside of the walls. No barrier between the insulation and the exterior walls. Kit didn't come with anything.

Probably stay raw. The only stuff I have found that is actually any good is pretty expensive and this project is already way over budget. So I don't see spending the money.
I can offer little but my envy. 26 years ago, I built my shop which is not comparable to yours and is only 24 x38'. It is still under evolutionary development. My only regret was not having done an epoxy coating. I did have the concrete people put a "sealer" on the floor which interferes with recoating. With a clean RAW concrete floor and with no way to see forward to an epoxy coating I would suggest using a roll on concrete paint like Sherwin Williams and others offer. Even sweeping chips is SO much less work and the inevitable oil spill wipes up without stains. It is possible to re paint worn areas. I have half my floor done with the paint which hasn't adhered as it should due to the crappy sealer the concrete people put on but has been mostly on there for 20 years. The original sealer melts with solvent spills or application. I would pay to have the floor ground and coated now but moving the fixtures and machinery makes the prospect impractical. I'm not criticizing your decision, just relaying my own experience.

When I built my first shop in 2004 it was 25x34. I epoxied the floor. Followed the prep instructions and still it came up after about 2 years. especially in the high traffic areas. So then it looked like crap and wasted money. Just don't see going down that road again for 2400 square feet.

I've been following your build since the beginning and love to watch your progress! At my age, the prospect of moving out if the city and building my dream shop is fading. I live vicariously through your experience, bumps in the road and all! Congrats on the floor - what a big step done!

-- such a great space you are building! Heres hoping you will get your machines powered up soon!

Back