Building my last shop

Well, that is huge. Happened a lot quicker than you originally thought if I remember correctly.
Actually I have a interesting story to tell you guys about the power hook up. Let me grab some lunch first and then I will come back and type it up. It will just want to make you shake your head.

Congratulations on your fantastic new shop! That is so nice. You'll really enjoy it.

What the heck? That's only single phase!?
But seriously, congratulations. That's a big step
R

What the heck? That's only single phase!?
But seriously, congratulations. That's a big step
R
Yeah unfortunately. 3 phase is so far away the power company said it would be in the 6 figure range to run 3 phase to my shop from the closest location. o_O

@NCjeeper I had the same problem about a rural property I was going to put an offer on. No power to the lot-line, but for only 800k$ they'd run it to the nearest road access... 3Km (2 Miles) away. I did not bid on the land.

So listen to this guys. County inspector came out Friday before last. Everything passed. He asked me for my work order number that the power company gave me. I told him and he immediately sent an email on his phone to the power company with my work order number as reference to have them come hook me up. So it is Tuesday afternoon of the next week and no one has showed up to hook me up. So I call the power company to see where I am on the list for service connection. I speak with a nice lady on the phone. I give her my work order number that they gave me and she says that number does not exist in her computer. Hmm. Okay here is my account number you gave me. She checks that and says that number shows to be deleted. What? So I aske her, Basically you have no record of your company coming out and installing 2 poles, wires, and a transformer? She said yep. o_OThat is crazy I thought. I am glad I called or I would have never gotten service connected. So she creates me a new account and a new work order number for service.
That Thursday the guy shows up in his bucket truck. I just happen to be outside and see him pull up. I wander down to the shop and this guy is grumpy with the personality of a soap dish. He looks at the wires coming out of the mast we have set up and says those are some big wires. I said yeah I am set up for 400 amp service. Again I am thinking he should have known that since they are the ones that sized the transformer and wire to my property. He says I dont have the big crimper I am going to need to do this job. Well that just burst my bubble. He said he would be back first thing tomorrow. Well tomorrow comes and he does not show up. :(Saturday around 9am he shows up and finally gets me hooked up and I now have service. He had a better attitude once he saw my machines and we started talking shop. It has been one thing after another trying to get my new shop done I tell you.

So listen to this guys. County inspector came out Friday before last. Everything passed. He asked me for my work order number that the power company gave me. I told him and he immediately sent an email on his phone to the power company with my work order number as reference to have them come hook me up. So it is Tuesday afternoon of the next week and no one has showed up to hook me up. So I call the power company to see where I am on the list for service connection. I speak with a nice lady on the phone. I give her my work order number that they gave me and she says that number does not exist in her computer. Hmm. Okay here is my account number you gave me. She checks that and says that number shows to be deleted. What? So I aske her, Basically you have no record of your company coming out and installing 2 poles, wires, and a transformer? She said yep. o_OThat is crazy I thought. I am glad I called or I would have never gotten service connected. So she creates me a new account and a new work order number for service.
That Thursday the guy shows up in his bucket truck. I just happen to be outside and see him pull up. I wander down to the shop and this guy is grumpy with the personality of a soap dish. He looks at the wires coming out of the mast we have set up and says those are some big wires. I said yeah I am set up for 400 amp service. Again I am thinking he should have known that since they are the ones that sized the transformer and wire to my property. He says I dont have the big crimper I am going to need to do this job. Well that just burst my bubble. He said he would be back first thing tomorrow. Well tomorrow comes and he does not show up. :(Saturday around 9am he shows up and finally gets me hooked up and I now have service. He had a better attitude once he saw my machines and we started talking shop. It has been one thing after another trying to get my new shop done I tell you.

“Personality of a soap dish”
I am so remembering that one!

Another chapter in the saga that has been the building of your shop!

@NCjeeper

Wow, what a story, although I have experienced similar situations with public utilities. I wonder sometimes how some find the door, unless it is the door to go home.

I have very little trust in city officials. As such I rarely rely on them to follow through and have a habit of calling to verify anything that they say they will do.

Back