Business Software Recommendations

Ray C

Registered
Registered
In 2014, I plan to do more shop work using the LLC. Up until now, I haven't been using any business software like quickbooks etc...

Anybody have thoughts about decent packages suitable for this? I am not into the "cloud computing" thing yet and want a package that installs on my computer and stores data locally.

Last year, I did the taxes manually. I'd like a package that does the taxes and other basic things like Capital Equipment, Inventory Stock, Billing and Invoices.

Any Ideas or Suggestions? It seems like QuickBooks has cornered the market but maybe there's other good packages to consider too.

Ray

Ray, As you know, I'm self employed. I've tried quick books and a couple of others. I probably spent $1000 on different software solutions over the years. They just don't work for me. Too complicated for a one man show.

I have a checking account for my business with a debit card. Everything that's business related just runs thru that account. At the end of the year I go thru my statements with colored Highlighters, a different categorie for each color. I bring my accountant the category totals and he works his tax magic after that.

I'm pretty good at making money and I always know what I have in my account, what bills are coming, and what checks are coming. I would have to be running some major #s and have 4-5 employees and a bookeeper before I even considered using softyware. Even then, I would hire someone to run it, I want absolutely nothing to do with taxes and bean counting. :)) But, thats just me. I can't stand the minutia of it all, I'd rather go have all my teeth pulled with an ice pick!:lmao:

I've been doing it this way for 25+yrs. So far so good.

Marcel

The one thing that I had found that is once you look past the QB level of software things get real expensive and complex quick. You can very easily find that you are working for the software and not the software working for you. For the price and ease QB is very hard to beat.

Well, I just ordered and installed QB 2014 Pro. I'm in the process of creating the hourly labor rates for different services. It has a start-up wizard that's working well so far but, I fully expect to screw it up and re-do it a few times. It's all good but, I need to get the basics of this down soon as I've got a bunch of work lined-up for February.

.... Marcel, I have to do this myself instead of hiring a CPA/Accountant etc... Your business is enough to sustain a livelihood whereas I'm playing Romper Room. I don't clear enough to get the attention of a CPA/accountant. Also, I'm terrible about handling papers and putting them in folders but, I'm very disciplined at immediately logging receipts and keeping things organized on the computer. I don't necessarily like it but, I'm disciplined about it...

Ray

Well, I just ordered and installed QB 2014 Pro. I'm in the process of creating the hourly labor rates for different services. It has a start-up wizard that's working well so far but, I fully expect to screw it up and re-do it a few times. It's all good but, I need to get the basics of this down soon as I've got a bunch of work lined-up for February.

.... Marcel, I have to do this myself instead of hiring a CPA/Accountant etc... Your business is enough to sustain a livelihood whereas I'm playing Romper Room. I don't clear enough to get the attention of a CPA/accountant. Also, I'm terrible about handling papers and putting them in folders but, I'm very disciplined at immediately logging receipts and keeping things organized on the computer. I don't necessarily like it but, I'm disciplined about it...

Ray

About to do this soon myself, as supplemental retirement income. I'll be very interested in how the QB works out for you, Ray.

Tom

Certainly, it is too soon for me to officially make a claim but, so far, so good. The program installed with no problems and I've made it through all the basic setup wizards. I'm creating dummy contacts, estimates and invoices etc and it's all gone well. In the next couple days, I'll try to do more advanced things and I'll utilize the inline tutorial. Everything I'm doing is intended to be throw-away -just for practice. At the end of the month, I'll try to have it setup with more serious intentions. BTW: As part of the purchase price, you also get an account with them and there are more advanced tutorials and studies available as part of the package.

My initial thought so far is "yes, this will work just fine". I know a good number of people who started their business using QB so, I certainly think it will work for my simple needs.

Ray

About to do this soon myself, as supplemental retirement income. I'll be very interested in how the QB works out for you, Ray.

Tom

I worked for an outfit that unbrella'd 13 companies with QB, and an onboard CPA. Worked fine for them. I don't see any problem with a one man show. My brother uses it, and is a corporation....loves it.

I used to love a program called JobBoss, but it's hardly a practical solution for a one man shop. Fully featured, dedicated to manufacturing. I used DBA for my own business, but tired of the subscription every year, so just keep an advanced spreadsheet for the finances. Everything else is on paper, but I do scan all documents in for retrieval.

I used Quicken for my business. Yes, I know, it is not really an accounting package, but, like Marcel, everything for the business went through that account. I created the categories I needed, and every expenditure was assigned to the appropriate category. I could run reports whenever I wanted, for whatever time span I wanted, then pass them to my accountant. He loved what I gave him because everything was laid out for him, and it made his job much easier which also saved me money.

Quick Books is similar, but much more robust. I looked at it and considered it, but it was far more than I needed for my business. It does interface very will with Quicken, however.

The earlier comment about packages any 'higher' than QB getting very expensive very quickly is correct. I worked with Great Plains accounting software for a while (pre-Microsoft), and it was buku bucks.

Again I well may be way off on what you are looking for Ray. But what about those things advertised on TV that you throw all your papers in the
thing - it puts them into a proper location prints it all separated -business / house bills. So you bring a couple sheets of paper to the tax guy instead
of like me , bringing a shoebox. Inexpensive I'm thinking about getting one. Suppose its some kind of scanner= secretary thing.
does this help.
question? how does this thing know a (truck gas bill) from a (house) gas bill? got no clue
sam

Those scanners are just copy machines and they don't know the difference from one file to the next. I think those would be helpful when you have a lot of paper receipts but in my case, I'm looking for software to keep track of State tax etc.

EDIT: But now that I think about it, those scanners are pretty cool and would reduce paper clutter by a mountain full.

Ray

Again I well may be way off on what you are looking for Ray. But what about those things advertised on TV that you throw all your papers in the
thing - it puts them into a proper location prints it all separated -business / house bills. So you bring a couple sheets of paper to the tax guy instead
of like me , bringing a shoebox. Inexpensive I'm thinking about getting one. Suppose its some kind of scanner= secretary thing.
does this help.
question? how does this thing know a (truck gas bill) from a (house) gas bill? got no clue
sam

Last edited:
Back