Business Software Recommendations

Subscribed with great interest Ray,

On the whole "neat" scanner thing that's advertised on TV, maybe I just don't get it, but it's not like your going to actually throw away originals of important documents, I don't see the piles going away...while it might be nice for business cards or non critical paperwork, I just don't see the point.

As we get more digital, please remember a backup! I use Carbonite myself, the piece of mind it provides is worth every penny to me. I tried the whole external drive thing, but was never disciplined enough to do regular backups...I always told myself "I'll do it tomorrow" or some other such excuse. Having the data (and pictures) off site incase the unthinkable happens is also reassuring.

I agree with your critique of the Neat Scanner. It solves the end of the problem that wasn't the main issue to begin with.

With regards to backup, the best system is the one you will actually use! Having said that, after several system rebuilds from the Windows install disks, I use Acronis with an external hard drive. Every Sunday morning, I just got done as a matter of fact. Then quarterly I burn an image to a BluRay disk. Looking after my computer and my wife's takes about 1 to 1.5 hours weekly. I've retrieved two lost files for her and saved everything from a burned out cpu + motherboard. That one resulted in about 3 days of lost email, but it could have been much, much worse.

Walt

Kenny,

I did look at the Quicken web page but, it didn't mention the ability to generate detailed Estimates, Invoices or Sales receipts. Those are important considerations for me and one of my customers needs me to get up to speed to support this. He's not being a pain... I see/understand his need is legitimate. Admittedly, I didn't download the Quicken product for trial but, the version of Quicken for home/business use is $115 vs $200 for QB pro. Within QB Pro, I immediately saw the features I knew were needed so I gravitated to that product. BTW: I was half tempted to get QB Premier for $320 -which has business-specific features to support (for example) a "Manufacturing and Wholesale/Retail" model which supports RMAs etc... If my desires pan-out, I'll need that in about a year or so.

Ray

Ray, did you look at Quicken by chance? I am just not sure I need all the fancy stuff that QB has integrated into it for a simple home based LLC:at Amazon Quicken Home & Business or the Inuit site: Quicken Home and Business

At almost 1/4 of the cost, I gotta wonder...

There are so many different scanners out there, it's not even funny. The "Neet / Neat ?" model is over-priced and seems (to me anyhow) to be a market-hyped product. Scanners are dime a dozen.

I have a very old Samsung laser printer... This thing has got to be 10-12 years old and it won't quit! Anyhow, I just came home with a new Dell laser printer that has a built-in scanner/copier and Fax. -Probably won't use the Fax but... this thing was $119 on sale at Staples. Toner refills were $39 for generic brands (very reasonable). In the last year, both my mother in law and brother in law passed away and I was their executor of Will. The number of times I needed to copy something in the past year is off the charts -and now that I'm not working out of a remote office anymore, it was time to get a scanner/copier of my own.

This printer/copier has built-in wireless -which is nice. I used a store computer to read some reviews about the printer and it seems OK. I'll let you know how this model works out. It was model DELL B1265DFW for $119.

Ray

I agree with your critique of the Neat Scanner. It solves the end of the problem that wasn't the main issue to begin with.

With regards to backup, the best system is the one you will actually use! Having said that, after several system rebuilds from the Windows install disks, I use Acronis with an external hard drive. Every Sunday morning, I just got done as a matter of fact. Then quarterly I burn an image to a BluRay disk. Looking after my computer and my wife's takes about 1 to 1.5 hours weekly. I've retrieved two lost files for her and saved everything from a burned out cpu + motherboard. That one resulted in about 3 days of lost email, but it could have been much, much worse.

Walt

As a follow-up, that cheap Dell laser printer, copier, scanner works just fine. The printer driver installation had a couple glitches and did not proceed as outlined in the instructions but, after a few minutes of fiddling, it all fell into place. In addition to the printer driver, it came with some glorified print management and do-all-to-end-all editing software... That software seems ridiculously complex and I'll probably uninstall it. Fortunately, the basic drivers control all the printing, scanning, copying features just fine w/o the need for that fancy software.

Ray

One of the basic building blocks for a system, at least, for the ones I have used, is assigning a number to every job that comes in. It can start as a quote, be converted to a job (or work order) number, and even branch out into a PO system, with prefixes or suffixes to link it back to the original file, where it all starts.....as a quote. Of course, it doesn't have to start as a quote, it can come in as a regular job. As long as you maintain a strict numerical order, with no gaps, you have the basis for a powerful tool for tracking the workflow. When you buy materials for that job....issue a PO based on the WO number. XXXX-1M for the first piece of material, and -2M for the next, and so on. For outside services, such as HT, shot peen, anodize or plating, deep hole drilling, honing......anything that is a service you don't do in shop, suffix it with a S (XXXX-1S, and so on). All of these documents are kept in a master folder, per job according to the min 4 digit job number. At the end of the job, you can do an analysis and make a paper copy with any notes you may want to review if/when the job comes in again. This may include material source and price, and special tooling that you may need to order, or even perhaps the length of time the job took, so you can give a good estimate on delivery.

I used to do the scheduling for about 100 guys, and about 300-500 different jobs a month. Some had 6 week lead time, but orders often came in soon enough to be run with the last order, so we made better money because of more volume buying material, more time to tweak the programming and processing, discounts on any outside processes, and of course, the setup time is amortized over more parts. And at times, when the orders were different size, and smaller orders carry higher prices.......but our cost was actually lower.

One day I should write a program that is really basic enough for a one man shop and would not cost a lot. No need to drag a lot of HR capacity in, for instance.

HI
I have been using Simply Accounting for 13 years. It takes a while to learn, but it works very well. My biggest time savers are inventory and receivables control. I have a one man welding equipment repair shop. I'm not sure if you have Simply in the USA, but if you do it would be worth a look.

HI
I have been using Simply Accounting for 13 years. It takes a while to learn, but it works very well. My biggest time savers are inventory and receivables control. I have a one man welding equipment repair shop. I'm not sure if you have Simply in the USA, but if you do it would be worth a look.

Here is the website, it appears they have changed the name: http://na.sage.com/sage-50-accounting-ca

I used Peachtree for a couple of years, or rather my wife did for our books.....didn't care for it at the time. Seemed you needed to be an accountant to use it. Things probably have changed, so worth a look. It was nicely done software.

Back