Buy an Arbor Press?

Larry$

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 25 year old 20 ton bottle jack press. It works OK but is slow to use and has a short travel that then makes me move the beam, again.
I've looked for a used Arbor press but my area is short on such things.
Looking @ Vevor, they have a 3 ton ratcheting for $253 frt. pd. Yes, I know it is not up to the name brand's quality. But is it good enough for a hobbyist to use occasionally? I do some press fits, bearing push offs and broach some keyways. The present process with the hydraulic jack takes a kazillion ups & downs of the handle. I'd have to weld up a stand for it with a notch to allow long work. I've got the $ for an import and there is no way I'd spend the $ for a name brand. Would you buy the Vevor?
Specifications:
Capacity: 3 Ton
Type: Ratcheted
Material: Cast Iron
Max. Work Height: 11.02 in / 280 mm
Ram Dimensions: 1.5 x 1.5 x 17.32 in / 38 x 38 x 440 mm
Plate Diameter: 6.69 in / 170 mm
Throat Depth: 6.3 in / 160 mm
Overall Size: 17 x 9.6 x 21.8 inch / 43.2 x 24.6 x 55.4 cm
Item Weight: 122 lbs / 55 kg
Item Dimensions: 17 x 9.6 x 21.8 in / 43.2 x 24.6 x 55.4 cm

I own one. It's functional, but rough as received. The hand wheel had sharp edges, which need to be dressed. I ended up buying a hand wheel off eBay which was a million times better than what came with the Vevor. The ratchet works pretty well. I don't know if it's really a 3T, but I have used it to broach key ways in pulleys and to insert pins into interference fit holes without issues. So it has been useful for me. It's ok, just remember it needs finishing. On a scale of 1-10, it's a 3 as received and 5-6 when fixed up. One strange advantage for me was the weight. I could pick it up and bring it down stairs to my shop. Had it weighed three times as much, it would have required me to fit ramps to the stairs.

Last edited:
I don't think my body is even into 122#s these days. I've got help though. I assume final fit and ass'y will be needed on such things. Thanks for the reply.
My body was sore for days afterwards. Considering I only weigh 150 lbs, I don't even know why I tried. Didn't seem that heavy, was relatively easy to grasp. As long as you realize it will need some work, it's not that bad.

Ah, the problem of aging. Rig up the ramps, hoists, or whatever now while you can - think ahead So you can stay where you are as long as you can. Your friends are as old as you,so they won’t be as helpful as they once were. Nursing homes may have “activities“ but none of them involve metal work or the problem solving that keeps you up at night. Watching my very independent dad (at 90) has been instructional.

You might want to check out a few auctions. There are plenty of sites that will show you all the auctions in your area.
I got most of my taps and milling bots at an auction that wasn't a machine shop auction.
I won't go down the whole list but I also bought 5 arbor presses for less than $50. NOT EACH, TOTAL.
I sold 4 of them for $40-50 each and kept a 2-ton "Phase II". All were in good shape. I didn't know, at the time, that they had much value.

Just look for any industrial auction and browse the listing. You might be surprised.

I can't help you with the arbor press. I went to the air over hydraulic jack for my press with a foot controller, it's a game changer. While I have the parts waiting I'll be going to the crank system to raise and lower the table. Probably will put pipes between the channel just to make putting the pins in easier.

The easier I can make things the longer I'll be able to, well make things.

Let's use know what you end up doing.

It all depends on what you intend to do with the press. Personally, I've found the deep throat style far more useful. It makes positioning a part for broaching, riveting, or pressing bearings much easier. If you intend to use it for broaching, I doubt you'll be able to do anything larger than 3/16". Most larger size broaches are longer than the throat opening.

Larger name brand presses are out there for reasonable money. I was able to pick up this Greenerd 3B model a while back for less than $100.00 Actually I traded it for a 20-year-old Toro lawnmower. Recently there have been a number of Dake and Famco presses at used equipment dealers with asking prices in the $500.00 range. While it's double the cost of the Vevor it would be money well spent.

Attachments

• DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 31
While I agree that I would be better off with an auction find, I'm in a part of the country with very few industrial auctions. Yes, I could bid on something that needs to be shipped but I've been down the shipping road before.
Broaching and throat opening. I know that, and there are work arounds by how the press is mounted. Something similar to how a shop press is made. Worth it??? Maybe I should just stick to my old manual shop press. I'm near the end of the road anyhow.

Back