Buying Machines

What do you say i need for cleaning a lubing materials. I know the grease zerts on these arnt for grease. How does one oil them and with what kind of oil. Any thingI should pay close attention to when going through them? Im not going to be able to power them before I buy a phase converter and the only one Im going to be able to afford for a while is a static 5hp one off of ebay. Im anyone lives near bakersfield I would really like someone who knows these things to look at them

Save yourself a bunch of $$$, take the time to learn what you have and what you need. Plenty of reading you can do on this forum and you get to ask a lot of questions and get great answers from the members here.

You can contact Lagun and they will send you a manual for the mill. I recommend getting one as it will provide all the details of the machine to include the type of lube recommended.

Not to throw you a curve but vfd's have some benefits over phase converters.

I wouldn't worry about paint. cleaners kind of depends on hoe far you go to clean them up. Could just clean exposed surfaces, any kind of cleaning or penetrating oil would work for that. If dismantling, then you might get into more powerful stuff, degreaser like purple power or the citrus stuff. If using degreasers, put an oil on after to prevent rust.

Take lots of pictures as you go, look for you tube videos on milling machines, yours in particular, and check here if you get stumped. this forum has a pretty good search function, take advantage of it, it's your friend.

And what exactly does a VFD do over a Static phase converter?
A) Generates actual three-phase power, rather than making your three-phase motor function as a single-phase capacitor-start capacitor-run motor with less than 2/3 of rated capacity.

B) Allows you to easily vary the speed over a considerable range.

And what exactly does a VFD do over a Static phase converter?
A VFD does a lot more, the list is long but here are a few of the most important.
1. Drive a three phase motor off of single phase at full horsepower. A static converter only delivers ⅔ the motors rated hp.
2. Controll the motors speed by varying the frequency e.g. slow the motor down by running it at at 40 hz. or speed it up at 80 hz.
3. Soft start and deceleration.
4. Electronic Braking.
5. Electronic reversing, no drum switch needed.

Back