Buying your first a lathe...what you wish you knew?

I am happy with my purchase of a used 12x36. It is large enough for my hobby needs. Here are some things that are important to me after having used it for a few years

• Size - bigger is better and you cannot add size later on. Your actual useful swing and distance between centers is probably half of the numbers published after chuck and swing over cross slide
  • Easy speed adjustment - my lathe has belts with a tension lever. It is easy to get into 6/12 speeds, but the highest 6 require a few wrenches and 2-3 minutes of effort.
  • Power cross feed - must have one IMO. Makes parting a breeze
  • Cam lock spindle - mine has a 2.25x8 thread but i'd prefer a camlock spindle
  • Noise - my lathe is very quiet with the belts, gears are louder
  • Quick change gearbox is great, but changing gears from inch to metric is totally fine.
  • The stand matters - mine has a flimsy sheet metal stand that creates inaccuracies
  • Option to add a DRO
  • Sealed chippan for coolant would be highly desirable

Hi maccardoso

I did not specify that I plan to cnc convert this. Walk me off the ledge if you think that a bad idea, lol.

My lathe tool starter pack is as follows:

Measuring:
  • 6" Calipers
  • 0-6" Micrometer set (or less as your needs require)
  • Telescoping bore gages
  • Thread pitch gage for inch and metric
  • A few hand files and deburring abrasives
Work holding:
  • 3 Jaw chuck
  • Larger 4 jaw independent chuck
  • Keyless drill chuck with MT arbor
  • Carbide tipped dead center
  • Live center (CNC or extended reach is worth the investment)
  • QCTP with 10ish holders
Cutting Tools:
  • I prefer insert tool holders. I will not start that debate here. I use small positive rake tools with sharp ground edges. I have a large variety of different tools and boring bars. All are extremely low cost imports.

Hi maccardoso

I did not specify that I plan to cnc convert this. Walk me off the ledge if you think that a bad idea, lol.

I'm a big CNC guy - I love it - but I have no interest in CNC'ing my lathe. It is much faster to set it up and run it without it being CNC. A lathe has a lot more "automated" features as a manual machine compared to a mill (power feed, threading, taper cutting, etc.). Unless you plan on doing complex curves, I see no benefit to going to CNC. You lose a lot of things like feeling the machine cut and quick setup and flexability.

But that is my opinion. I also lean away from having a CNC mill unless you already have a mill for basic operations like squaring stock or drilling a few holes.

I definitely value your opinion ( that’s why I’m here). Yes I plan on doing more complicated curved parts. I was thinking about using the lathe manually for a while to get family with it before converting

My lathe tool starter pack is as follows:

Measuring:
  • 6" Calipers
  • 0-6" Micrometer set (or less as your needs require)
  • Telescoping bore gages
  • Thread pitch gage for inch and metric
  • A few hand files and deburring abrasives
Work holding:
  • 3 Jaw chuck
  • Larger 4 jaw independent chuck
  • Keyless drill chuck with MT arbor
  • Carbide tipped dead center
  • Live center (CNC or extended reach is worth the investment)
  • QCTP with 10ish holders
Cutting Tools:
  • I prefer insert tool holders. I will not start that debate here. I use small positive rake tools with sharp ground edges. I have a large variety of different tools and boring bars. All are extremely low cost imports.

Great list!

Mrwhopper,

Are you saying you think PM’s tooling May be a bit over priced for import stuff? Got any favorite eBay sellers for insert tooling?

You understand me correctly. I don't have any favorite sellers, just favorite prices.

Take a gamble, drop $20-$30 on a set of tools, something like this:

or this:

I would recommend tools that use the CCMT and DCMT inserts. Buy a pack of each of the inserts that are used in the set you get.

Avoid these sets:

HTH

You understand me correctly. I don't have any favorite sellers, just favorite prices.

Take a gamble, drop $20-$30 on a set of tools, something like this:

or this:

I would recommend tools that use the CCMT and DCMT inserts. Buy a pack of each of the inserts that are used in the set you get.

Avoid these sets:

HTH

Will do!

I’m about to pull the trigger and purchase a Precision Matthews PM1030 lathe.

What do you wish you knew before buying your first lathe? What type of tooling and accessories did you buy or wish you did or did not buy?

I'm on lathe #2 now. First one, way to small. Second one, much more substantial and larger. Now, a few years later, keeping my eye out for an even bigger one. Buy bigger than you think you need right now.

Back