Buying your first a lathe...what you wish you knew?

I am also of the opinion that carbide insert tools are the way to go. They aren't particularly expensive and for 99% of the work I have done, they do an excellent job. Occasionally I need something that is easier to get to with a purpose ground HSS tool, but I wouldn't say it is particularly important that you be able to use HSS before you start using carbide insert tools.

The 12x36 import lathes tend to be a step up in quality on the smaller ones, if you can "swing" it.
Better to skip the upgrades if you can...

Machpete99,

In what way are they a step up? Will they machine faster and obtain better finishes?

I am also of the opinion that carbide insert tools are the way to go. They aren't particularly expensive and for 99% of the work I have done, they do an excellent job. Occasionally I need something that is easier to get to with a purpose ground HSS tool, but I wouldn't say it is particularly important that you be able to use HSS before you start using carbide insert tools.

That’s how I feel right now. I would definitely like to learn how to grind hss tools, but right now I think just starting is the key and cheap carbide will be the easiest way for me to get going.

I’m about to pull the trigger and purchase a Precision Matthews PM1030 lathe.

What do you wish you knew before buying your first lathe? What type of tooling and accessories did you buy or wish you did or did not buy?

While recently doing a bunch of projects on my lathe while doing upgrades and repairs at the same time has given me a lot of food for thought.

I would get the largest spindle bore hole size as possible. Having 1.5" capacity (over 1") is very useful and highly recommended. I can't tell you how many projects ended up being more difficult or abandoned not having that capacity. I would recommend looking at the Precision Matthews PM-1127 VF-LB. Its similar in size.

Some other general things to look for/would want:

Quick change thread gearbox, imperial & metric threading
Variable speed and avoid having to change belts
Quick change tool post with lots of various holders
Ease of setting up DRO, having it makes life so much nicer.
Power cross feed is nice to have.
Hardened bed ways, stiff lathe that can handle deeper cuts and stainless. This can be a problem with the smaller lathes, limiting speed of finishing projects and what you'll be able to do. Do homework about what others have experienced with the lathes your interested in.
Find a lathe with as much tooling as possible. 3 & 4 jaw chucks with both jaws and if possible a collet holder set.
Avoid lathes that are projects and need fixing, look for turnkey and complete with low backlash/low wear. Find one with a good reputation

While I agree with others saying bigger is better, but space can also be a premium and could restrict you from what others are able to accommodate. Figure out your space and get the largest that you can and that is practical.

I also agree with others say about converting it to CNC, not as important on a lathe but understand why you would want it. Recommend using it manually building up experience and knowledge before converting. Maybe look into a radius making tooling like a Holdridge Radii cutter or similar knock off to get your complicated curves?

Lastly, you live in a great spot where you have many cities and industrial areas near you, South Bend and others are close to you making it fairly easy to source a good lathe and tooling. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a good well made lathe for sale close by from someone who knows what there doing and took good care of it and a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Silverchips,

Thanks, that is great advice. I agree with “avoid lathes that are projects and need fixing” and is one reason I am trying to buy something new and not break the bank.

Silverchips,

Thanks, that is great advice. I agree with “avoid lathes that are projects and need fixing” and is one reason I am trying to buy something new and not break the bank.

Does the Precision Matthews PM-1127 VF-LB fit that bill?

Buy once cry once....I bought a PM 1228 the 1.5" through bore has limited me twice now, work around no biggie. The D1-4 cam lock is great to have, the 28" bed got me once, I took off the tail stock to work around. This has been a good machine, and I'm a just at the bottom of the ladder starting out learning. If a stronger heaver quality machine of similar size, or a touch bigger came up I would jump on it.

Aukai,

May I ask what the primary use for your machine is? Is it just a hobby machine or business purposes?

Back