BXA Tool Post

Lots of posts on the subject, so better to see what has been posted, example below. A wedge should be inherently more accurate as it both pulls the holder down and locks by pulling inwardly. A piston type is more likely to rock if all the surfaces are not machined perfectly true. There are more contact areas with a wedge system, and the repeatability is claimed to be better by those that have used both (see discussion in link below and other posts). There are other factors so not worth repeating what other's experiences with both systems, and comments. On a smaller lathe, both will work well, but you won't find any industrial machines using a piston style QCTP. The quality of the QCTP is also a factor, I have read a number of reviews on the Bostar, people seem very happy with it's performance at a budget price point. Phase II also has good reviews, but at that price point individuals notice a significant improvement going with an Aloris or Dorian QCTP. I have used Phase II, Aloris and Dorian, and the latter two work much better with a smooth mechanism, accuracy wise they are all about the same.

Jbolt looked at repeatability of both and found that the wedge style was more consistent with less error, and this seems to be the experience of others. Appreciate Jbolt's contributions, and others.

My recommendation is get a good QCTP holder and save your money on inexpensive holders, Darkzero (WIll) did a review and found they all repeated accurately. Nice when someone actually has some tangible comparison, so THX to Will for spending the time on this.

My recommendation is get a good QCTP holder and save your money on inexpensive holders, Darkzero (WIll) did a review and found they all repeated accurately. Nice when someone actually has some tangible comparison, so THX to Will for spending the time on this.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/qctp-holder-review-part-1.52672/#post-486176

Great review but it was not me. That was done by jbolt as well. But yes, I do currently have a Dorian QCTP & use mostly import holders.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/qctp-holder-review-part-1.52672/

Just out of curiosity ... wondering what CNC lathe people use? Do they even use any kind of QCTP system? Let's hear from some CNC guys.

I can well imagine that the relative accuracy of wedge and plunger QCTPs might become a factor in a CNC situation, or that yet another system is needed. But my experience with both QCTP styles in the (non-production) home shop environment is that there's not a huge difference.

While I do think a wedge style is better than a piston for engineering reasons, but I've never had a single problem with either of my piston Aloris clones. The repeatability is very good, (since I don't use a DRO, there is no perceptible shift) . THey don't suffer from rocking or any other problems, they even part well...

That being said, I am in the process of buying a used Aloris wedge tool holder. I think it will be an upgrade.

Several years ago I replaced my piston type BXA toolpost with a wedge type. The piston tool post is still on the shelf. Interested?

If you can source a well used Aloris BXA for a good price, they are worth it, they are rebuildable. For 125, Aloris will send you the wedges, they refer to them as moveable gibs. Just need to fit them to the body

No, between cutting tools, knurlers, indicators, boring bar holders and parting tools, I have about 85 loaded blocks, plus a few spare blocks.

No, between cutting tools, knurlers, indicators, boring bar holders and parting tools, I have about 85 loaded blocks, plus a few spare blocks.

Dang that’s a lot of tools. I thought my 20 was a lot. I use only 4 or 5 tools 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 10 holders for my AXA in small lathe and 16 BXA holders for my big one.

Back