California Members - Check In!

No danger here but the heavy smoke is back with the wind shift. The possibility for more lightning is in the forecast again. I have several friends and work associates evacuated from the Woodland, LCU, CZU, and SCU fires. Pretty sure some of them lost homes. Crazy times.

The western United States has hundreds of fires burning in several states.
This is August!
We have a long way to go before rainy season.
Be safe you'all.

Pleasanton is VERY smoky, but the fires are several miles away. Chance of dry lightning today through tomorrow, so things can change quickly.

Little bit of rain here in Santa Cruz now and haven't heard any thunder yet. Hopefully water keeps falling from the sky without making things worse....

John

Eric's : Fire Shelters are known as shake and bake bags for good reason. If a crew has to deploy them someone has made a major mistake. Always have a safe zone ,know the exit away from the fire ,and have a lookout just to watch the fire.

A few links you might find interesting. The first is a record of all lightning strikes globally. Nothing in the Bay Area in the past 24 hours. Look like we dodged a bullet.

Here is the NASA fire map (FIRMS) of all fires globally.

Finally, PurpleAir is a site where you can check out air quality.

Stay safe.

Oh man, that’s pretty darn big.
I hope folks in the path are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric's : Fire Shelters are known as shake and bake bags for good reason. If a crew has to deploy them someone has made a major mistake. Always have a safe zone ,know the exit away from the fire ,and have a lookout just to watch the fire.

I bet you I could design and build a more robust one. Of course, it wouldn't be mobile, but that doesn't matter. This reminds me of a story. One of the fellows in school had an internship to design something of the sort. He had a target temperature difference to withstand over a maximum time. A simple application of the heat transfer equation with axisymmetric conditions. He came up with a crazy insulation thickness requirement of something like 200 feet. He showed it to his supervisor, who laughed heartily and said, use 3 feet and be done with it. The intern said, the equations say it won't work. The supervisor said 3 feet is always enough; just build it. He did and it worked. He said that he must have forgotten a term somewhere. Some of these emergency fire shelters look way overdesigned for 90 minutes. They are also surrounded by earth, which does not have a simple constant heat transfer coefficient.

What do you use as the outside temp for a calculation? If you keep things cleared around the shelter, you will not have any flames in direct contact, so I would bet temps would not reach 1000 Degs. I think the bigger worry, is all the oxygen in the area being burned up. I would definitely include gauges that show the outside & inside temps, and oxygen level or something that would do the same.

Back