Came across something odd on the lumber I bought

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I needed some clean pine, so I bought a bunch of premium pine 8" from HD. I have never seen any raw lumber glued up. But when I cut the end off and went to mark a rough cut I noticed that the grain was different, and going in a different direction... then I noticed the seam up the length of the board.

I have never , ever seen that on a board. Yes, they sell glued up boards for projects to stabilize the board, but not on premium boards.

PXL_20231008_202021828.jpg

Could it be that someone (a customer) put that board in the wrong bin? I see that sometimes especially in the electrical and plumbing fittings. Someone grabs something and then later finds a better option and grabs it; rather than go back and put the first thing where it goes, they just cram it into spot right in front of them.

I have seen a board that was "patched" with another piece. Like yours, it didn't really jump out at you. From HD or Lowe's, I don't recall which.

GsT

Check your receipt to see if you paid for something other than what you expected

I have seen trim lumber that was finger joined on the length, some boards with several joins.

Could it be that someone (a customer) put that board in the wrong bin? I see that sometimes especially in the electrical and plumbing fittings. Someone grabs something and then later finds a better option and grabs it; rather than go back and put the first thing where it goes, they just cram it into spot right in front of them.
nope the sticker was premium.. same as the others.

Back