Came across something odd on the lumber I bought

I've never actually been in trouble at HD, either. BUT, you can go through everything they've got without finding anything that could even aspire to mediocrity. Fortunately I don't do much with wood anymore, especially since moving to AZ, because the local-ish 'good wood palace' has prices that make titanium seem like a very reasonable alternative.

GsT
Before I buy any lumber, I go out to the yard to see what stock they have. If the pile is down to the last few dozxen bnoards, I will pass on the purchase. Usually, if there is a full or fairly full pallet, there is a halfway decent chance of finding halfway decent boards.

Last edited:
Yeah, for a "premium" board, that's no good. Although, maybe it's "premium" because they are charging for their time and effort to make one good board (being a bit sarcastic here).

If possible, buy the widest and longest board you can and rip it to width(s). Generally speaking, the wider and longer boards are better.

I can think of any number of awesome uses for the lumber on that truck. The grain must look fantastic!
... said by a truly artistic woodworker ....

PS:

When I want nice, straight boards, I go to the "pressure treated" section. The maroon colored 2x4s and 2x6s at HD are all pretty straight. About 2 years ago I bought a 10 or 12 foot 2x6 to use as the "spine" of my miter saw stand. The stand It basically a pair of foldable legs at the ends, with several moveable rollers and a small saw platform on top. Great for setting up cuts on long boards, etc.Though not the same, it's somewhat similar to the one shown in this video:

... said by a truly artistic woodworker ....

PS:

When I want nice, straight boards, I go to the "pressure treated" section. The maroon colored 2x4s and 2x6s at HD are all pretty straight. About 2 years ago I bought a 10 or 12 foot 2x6 to use as the "spine" of my miter saw stand. The stand It basically a pair of foldable legs at the ends, with several moveable rollers and a small saw platform on top. Great for setting up cuts on long boards, etc.Though not the same, it's somewhat similar to the one shown in this video:
Your pressure treated doesn't sound like what I get. They usually have so much water in them that they are nearly dripping, When they finally do dry out, they will often twist up like a cork screw. Apparently, Southern yellow pine is the species of choice for pressure treated lumber. My 110 y.o.. house has a lot of Southern yellow pine trim but it was old growth from trees that quite often started growing in the 18th century.

Your pressure treated doesn't sound like what I get. They usually have so much water in them that they are nearly dripping, When they finally do dry out, they will often twist up like a cork screw. Apparently, Southern yellow pine is the species of choice for pressure treated lumber. My 110 y.o.. house has a lot of Southern yellow pine trim but it was old growth from trees that quite often started growing in the 18th century.
The ones I've found (so far) have been reasonably dry. And the 2x6 I bought for my miter saw stand has remained straight. YMMV, and I guess that it's always advisable to use caution when buying such lumber.

Retailers are importing more and more finger jointed stock. It looks pretty good until you stain it. You can hardly find high end oak handrails without a finger joint some where. It seems all R & D is aimed at lower cost rather than higher quality. I live in New England, the lumber capital of the world. I bought a $.99 dowel at HD and it was made in CHINA??? It seems all we make now in the USA is insurance policies and fast food.

Last edited:
The ones I've found (so far) have been reasonably dry. And the 2x6 I bought for my miter saw stand has remained straight. YMMV, and I guess that it's always advisable to use caution when buying such lumber.
you are in AZ, and it may be that they know the wood will twist like a pretzel, so they may do something different with your pressure treated lumber.

AZ is so arrid that it makes sense that what we get in humid areas doesn't work for them. wood need to dry out in a controlled env, so it's not too fast. Too fast and you get stresses, or hardness, fracturing.

It's always good when people don't hide their location... It allows us to get some context...

Back