Came across something odd on the lumber I bought

There is no official grade of lumber known as "Premium" this is just a label, coined by the store to sell such "Frankinboards".

There is no official grade of lumber known as "Premium" this is just a label, coined by the store to sell such "Frankinboards".
yes I know. But it's what HD calls it. it's their personal grading , not the official industry standard.

These are the industry standard lumber grades. Forget about A Select unless you're willing to cut it out of a larger piece. D Select is the premo grade in my area.

Grade
Designation
Description
A​
Select​
Does not exhibit knots, splits or visible defects.
B​
Select​
A few small visible defects.​
C​
Select​
Small knots, but one side may be completely clear of defects.​
D​
Select​
May contain pin knots and other small blemishes.​
1​
Common​
Contains small knots that give an overall knotty appearance as with knotty pine boards. Knots are tight and are unlikely to fall out.​
2​
Common​
Have tight knots but larger in size than the No. 1 Common.​

yes I know. But it's what HD calls it. it's their personal grading , not the official industry standard.
Yeah that's what irritates me about those stores, they change the names so you don't really know what you are getting.

Yeah that's what irritates me about those stores, they change the names so you don't really know what you are getting.
I get a lot of my hardwoods from a local guy who buys trees and mills them. For years he milled them with a chain saw, and about 6 years ago bought a wood mizer. I can't believe he would do it with a chain saw.. you lose a lot of wood that way, and it's very labor intensive. The thing I like about his wood is it's all air dried so no un-natural stresses unless he stickers them twisted. He's easy to work with. After a storm he gets lots of wood,so it's all good, unlike many lumber places that won't touch wood that's been in residential and small woods.. He does. So a lot of that wood gets reused, instead of chipped or burned.

Just before the COVID mess I ordered a pallet of OSB and a pallet of 2x6 "structural" from Home Despot. I was expecting a pallet of culls, but I got what would count as A or maybe B grade- not one cull in the pallet, no knots, straight and wonderful. It really blew my mind, as I didn't pay a significant fee. I don't see myself getting lucky like that twice, but it did happen. I still have 30 sticks of it in the loft.

A couple years ago I decided to build a set of book cases for a room in my house that I wanted to use as a library. Didn't want to buy any of the typical "propeller style" curvy wood from the usual box stores. After a bit of a search, I found Heldt Lumber. Their address is 5712 N 7th St, Phoenix.

Heldt had some very nice 1x6 and 1x10 boards, all of 10 or 12 feet long. Their yard guys were nice enough to cut these in half for me. I took the wood home and sawed it into suitable lengths for the shelves I wanted to make. The first photo shows the stacked parts. Note how well behaved ( and un-warped) the wood is.IMG_0249.jpg

The second photo shows the deeper (1x10) shelves I built for hardback books.

HPIM6224.JPG

This next one shows some of the paperback book shelves Idesigned to surround the library window.
HPIM6216.JPG

All in all, I'm very happy to have found Heldt!

Back