Can anyone help with information on this tool?

atunguyd

Active User
Registered
Hi wonder if anyone can help me? Today at a pawn broker I saw a cut knurl tool. It had not price so I asked the shop keep who said he was not sure as it was on his "old system" he eventually just said I could take it for the equivalent of about $20. I think I got a great score here but not really sure. Also I am totally unsure n how it actually gets used.

Can some help identify this tool? It has "Zeus 210" engraved on it so it looks like it is from Germany. Ideally looking for information on how exactly it is used? ie in what orientation I mount it on the lathe and how it is setup for different bar diameters?
20220603-205233.jpg

20220603-205306.jpg

20220603-205317.jpg

I have no idea. Maybe an optometrist measuring device, comes to mind?
Martin

The Quick link takes you to Hommel + Keller. Evidently the high end tool. A little research takes you to Zeus, A lower (?) end tool from same company .https://www.hommel-keller.de/en/zeus/zeus-knurling-tools/

You'll have to check to see if regular wheels can be used. If not looks like OEM stuff is available. I would contact company for instructions and parts list. I think you got a good deal.

That to me looks like a knurling tool for a lathe. You can change the pitch of the wheels for the desired knurl. C702F848-F644-4E25-AE32-686861AB1E82.png

Thanks I I had already sent an email to the Hollerman-Keller guys and seeing if I get anything - but also hoping I may stick luck here too. I know for sure it is a cut knurling tool but I am not 100% sure exactly how it is used. The knurling posts are free to be rotated and they each have an indicator pointing towards that scale in the middle. I assume this may be bar diameter but I am really not sure.

If it really is a cut knurling tool it is worth about 50X that price.

If it really is a cut knurling tool it is worth about 50X that price.
I am 99% confident it is a cut knurling tool, and yes I think it is a massive score. I don't see this model on the manufacturers website but they do have new models with a similar style, hoping the instructions will be enough for me to experiment.

First I need to kill down the attachment as is it too large to fit into my axa tool post.

I also see that it has two different knurling wheels on it. One marked AA and the other 15°. The manufacturers website seems to indicate that for a diamond pattern I should have 2xAA wheels so I may need to source another one of those.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Quite honestly, I have never seen such a tool. However, the application is rather obvious. There are two basic types of knurling tools:

First is the (old fashioned) knurl that pushes against the spindle. They are "brute force" tools that put a great deal of pressure against the spindle bearings. Because of this, as a rule, they are not recommended for smaller machines, although they can be used.

The other is a "scissor" type knurl that clamps, usually verticaly, on the work, which is then rotated between the wheels. There is much less stress on the spindle bearings, and has become much more common on/for smaller (hobbyist level) machines. It is more likely to spin off the work, but with care can produce a useable knurl.

In both cases the knurl works by displacing the surface material to form a regular pattern. The displaced, or raised, material then becomes a high friction gripping surface. Knurling is also used to increase outside diameter to enlarge a slightly too small surface. This is not an advertised use for a knurling tool but is quite often used in maintenance and repair work.

The pictured knurling tool is obviously an adaptation of the former (first) type. Exactly how to "fine tune" its' use would be better learned from the instruction manual. But the application is obvious. By using different wheels for the two sides would provide for either a non-symetrical knurl or to allow the tool to be used from an odd (non-centered) position. That is where the manual would prove the most useful.

Back