Can anyone identify this wood?

IMO it is mahogany. The grain and open pores indicate that. While you worked with it the dust would have smelled spicy with a bitter finish. The grain is also very stringy and tears easily. Depending on where the world was cut from in the tree it can rang from very soft to pretty hard

At first glance I thought it might be Ipe or Iron wood, but the open pore , as mentioned makes me think it's mahogany too. It's a brazilian rain forest hard wood for sure.

Just to be awkward, I think it is sapele, commonly used in the uk for hardwood windows and doors, door cills etc. I have been using a lot of it lately and it looks just like that!
Phil

I believe it's teak also. in the one picture you can see white in some of the grain. Common to teak. The end grain is also teak like. Did it have an unusual smell when you turned it? Also it should have dulled your tooling rather quickly. Just my two cents worth. Roger

It is not hard, and cut easily. Didn't feel the tools dull at all, fast cut. Not particularly heavy either. I didn't think of smelling the chips, good idea. Last thing I cut on that lathe was Padouk and it still had some of the red dust over it so pretty sure not Padouk.

Showing it to a couple people in person they thought Mahogany. I thought Mahogany was a hard and heavy wood and darker.

I'm not an expert but I'm leaning toward one of the many "Mahogany" varieties. If it turns easy it certainly isn't Teak, did that once and that was enough!

Lots of good info here:

http://www.wood-database.com/

I also think it is teak.

Keep in mind that wood is a 4-letter word in my shop.

Back