Can anyone identify this wood?

I have been a woodworker all my life. It's hard to judge from a picture. You're missing out on feeling the weight,the smell,etc. And,the picture may be magnified.

However,you said it was not hard or heavy. My guess would be Spanish cedar,which I have used for classical guitar necks since 1954. Mahogany does not have pores that large. No where near that size. Spanish cedar does,and has a very cedary smell when turned. Used to line humidors. Cigar boxes used to be made from it. Also used for collegiate racing shells,but long ago replaced by fiberglass.

Spanish cedar is very light and soft. Whatever the wood is,it definitely is too open pored to be mahogany,unless the picture is magnifying them. Spanish cedar is not as red as the picture,but again,pictures can be wrong in color.

it does look like mahogany to me also. teak is very dense (heavy) and tends to have a waxy feel / luster to it.

I turn a lot of wood on my lathe, exotic and domestic. Definitely not sapele. The grain is too coarse and sapele is on the heavy side without any orange hue to it. Mahogany has smaller pores and when you turn it on the lathe and then rotate it in the light, the part facing you directly has a certain glow to it. As a 35 year wood turner, I'm betting on padauk. Teak is heavy and very tight grain and would be very shiny when finished.
I have some pictures of some of my work posted on this site.
Rick

I've been a woodworker for years, I would say Mahogany but the open grain is keeping me guessing. If it was black I would say Wenge. It has the same grain but there is no way it's Wenge.

I'm going to vote against teak, it's yellow/brown in raw wood, smells like rubber when worked. If no rubber smell, it's not teak, Also, teak has silicon in it, dulls tools quickly.

Looks sorta like African Rosewood I have used before.

Sure looks like the mahogany used for gauge bases at our old shop.

Bruce

Back