Can I borrow a cup of Kool-mist? / Mister build

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I'm going to put together a cheap DIY mister system. For about $50 I can get all the parts I need, combined with some bits I have already.
Now, $57 for a gallon of kool-mist. What? A gallon will last me 200 years I think. Or, most likely it will go bad and I will have to toss most of it.
I saw one video where a guy used baby oil, dawn and water. Is kool-mist "all that" or can I go rogue and mix my own? What ingredients?

My goal is to reduce chip welding / re-cutting chips when milling aluminum.

Thanks

Mixed with water or straight?

Be careful making a mist out of anything flammable.
Shouldn't need to be said nut there are warnings to not eat Tide Pods so...
Very true . Not for use in a spray mist , only brushed on . :blowup:

I just found repackaged (1 Pint) Kool-mist at the little machine shop for $10 but shipping more than doubles that...
I tell you, being cheap (like me) is time consuming.

I use Trim SC 520 in my cold saw. I have 2 other saws that can use it, but so far, the cold saw is the only one that requires coolant. It's a little less expensive than Kool Mist and lasts a long time. The big problem around here is evaporation. The coolant tank holds 2 gallons. I left the saw unused for about 6 weeks and had to add a 1/2 gallon of water to bring the level back to normal.

When I first started looking for coolant, I made a post on a "professional" board asking what others were using. A number of distributors chimed in offering one-time low-cost samples. In this case most samples were about a pint, and the cost was around $10.00 with free shipping. I tried a couple of them and settled on the Trim SC520. I don't know if these promotional items still exist, and if so, what the price is. It might be worth your time to contact a few of the manufacturers and ask if they still offer low-cost samples for customers to try in their machines.

Last edited:
Kool mist is still cheaper than buying raw chemicals unless you want each component in a 55 gallon drum. It dilutes something like 20:1, so it's very cheap to start with. My home brew suggestions for Kool mist involves buying Kool mist. The surrogates for the base glycol that are easily available aren't as good for the purpose. Soluble oil is the next best thing, and that's a stinky staining rabbit hole of its own.

Back