Can I borrow a cup of Kool-mist? / Mister build

Very true . Not for use in a spray mist , only brushed on . :blowup:
I've used isopropyl alcohol mixed in with spray coolant without killing anyone, been doing it for decades.

If you wind up with a combustible air/fuel ratio using 20% alcohol in your coolant you've done something special and are already choking on the fumes and you would really have to be cranking out the coolant at that.

I've used isopropyl alcohol mixed in with spray coolant without killing anyone, been doing it for decades.

If you wind up with a combustible air/fuel ratio using 20% alcohol in your coolant you've done something special and are already choking on the fumes and you would really have to be cranking out the coolant at that.
Iso is a weird flammable. I've played with it and fire. It burns but I don't find it very combustible. You can hold it in your hand and light it on fire. It takes a few seconds before it burns you.

When it does, don't panic and wipe your hands on your pants. You probably don't need to ask how I know that's a problem.

I use Trim SC 520 in my cold saw. I have 2 other saws that can use it, but so far, the cold saw is the only one that requires coolant. It's a little less expensive than Kool Mist and lasts a long time. The big problem around here is evaporation. The coolant tank holds 2 gallons. I left the saw unused for about 6 weeks and had to add a 1/2 gallon of water to bring the level back to normal.

When I first started looking for coolant, I made a post on a "professional" board asking what others were using. A number of distributors chimed in offering one-time low-cost samples. In this case most samples were about a pint, and the cost was around $10.00 with free shipping. I tried a couple of them and settled on the Trim SC520. I don't know if these promotional items still exist, and if so, what the price is. It might be worth your time to contact a few of the manufacturers and ask if they still offer low-cost samples for customers to try in their machines.
You need a refractometer when using non mist coolant. Since flood coolant is a recyclable product. Adding too much water can dilute the value, and cause odor. Just saying... that's why I use mist for my small needs.

Mist is impractical at the least for a 350mm manual cold saw. I know there are systems out there, but they cost as much or more than I paid for the saw and 5 new blades. The coolant flow has to be adjusted to a flow rate that clears the swarf from the kerf, but not so much it overflows the coolant trough and washes everything on the floor.

I have found when cutting solid aluminum round stock, I need the coolant flow valve to be about 3/8 to 1/2 open depending on the size of the stock. I'm not sure what the gpm flow rate is at that setting, but it's far more than any mist system can put out. I do know shops that have tried mist systems on cold saws with mixed results. Those cutting tube seem to have much better luck than those trying to cut solid stock. Solid stock accumulates mountains of swarf by comparison and is not easily cleared from the kerf with a mist system.

For the record I do have a refractometer, and do use it when mixing a batch or trying to bring a current one to spec. The recommended concentration is 4% to 10%. I started at a 10% concentration, and it seems to work well.

As for manufacturers still offering samples I see Master Fluids Solutions is offering trial samples of many of their products. They have an application form on their website. It asks all the normal questions including the types of machines and types of materials you'll be cutting.

I've been using Kool-mist in my home made system that could best be described as a spatter system rather than mist. Assorted small drops rather than mist. Adjusted to just provide enough to keep the tool from getting hot. It doesn't carry the chips away & isn't a terrible mess. I had been using WD40 but I didn't like the fumes. A clear plastic jug with a hole drilled in the lid, plastic tubing, two needle valves in a block of aluminum, push to connect fittings, adjustable plastic spout. Had to make a block of aluminum to take 1/4" NPT on one side and a push to connect fitting on the other (BSPT). In aluminum you can cheat the British Standard Pipe thread and use NPT with a couple of extra raps of Teflon tape. My collection of push to connect fittings are for metric machines so they are British inch specs. I keep an assortment on hand for fixing metric machines. Automation Direct.

I just found repackaged (1 Pint) Kool-mist at the little machine shop for $10 but shipping more than doubles that...
I tell you, being cheap (like me) is time consuming.

Too funny...

Last edited:
A gallon jug of Qualichem 251C is about $60 and makes 20 gallons. Like Kool Mist it has a massive dilution ratio and works very well in a fogbuster or full flood type system. I started with Kool Mist but in my environment if I wasn't on the spot and cleaning up the vise and mill table right after using it rust was happening. I kept increasing the ratio to see if it would help but in my case it did not. I'd have issues in places I don't always look at like between my fixed vise jaw and vise. Every time I'd take it off... there would be substantial surface rust where the Koolmist worked in behind it and sat.

The 251C is a far better cutting lube for every metal and compared to the Kool Mist the rust issues are near zero even if you just walk away for weeks on end. I can leave the vise and fixed jaws in place for months and only have extremely minimal rust issues hiding behind/under them.

I'm not sure I'd run the 251C in a heavy fogging setup (not sure about breathing it all day) but for the fogbuster type setup I'm WAY happier with it. It has no particular odor that I notice and I've had no skin reactions to it. Your milage may vary.

It also leaves a far less gummy residue than Kool Mist making chips easier to vacuum or wipe up.

I'd like to try the alcohol setup one of these days too, there's something to be said for something that leaves no residue at all. When you can get away with it, it would make the chips clean up about as easy as possible.

Back