Carbide Inserts

Prose

Registered
Registered
I have a 12 x 36 Atlas that i regularly turn Aluminum and steel on. I'm interested in using carbide tooling as I'm not very fast at grinding HSS cutters. Is there some reference material that I could find to study the different styles/uses for the carbide inserts? I know there are different types but when I google it there are a myriad of styles and designations that don't mean much to me. I have an AXA QCTP holder.

Thanks for any help.

Stick with a simple insert, like TPU or TPG insert in C5 grade (triangular positive rake; C5 is for cutting ferrous metals C2 is for cast iron and non ferrous metals) The TPU is unground, TPG is ground, for finer finishes; the downside to TP as opposed to TN (negative rake) is that there are 3 cutting edges on a TP as opposed to 6 on a TN. For smaller low powered machines such as the Atlas, TP would take less power to operate successfully and be the best choice, Size wise, a 1/4" I.C. size (inscribed circle) would likely be appropriate. Two tool holders would be enough to start with, a right hand and left hand with no lead angle. for turning and facing.

Stick with a simple insert, like TPU or TPG insert in C5 grade (triangular positive rake; C5 is for cutting ferrous metals C2 is for cast iron and non ferrous metals) The TPU is unground, TPG is ground, for finer finishes.

The first letter is the shape in this case T is a triangle, S is square, R is round, C is an 80 Deg. diamond, V is a 35 Deg. diamond and so on.
The second letter is the clearance angle, P= 11 Deg., U= 0 Deg, C= 7 Deg.
The third letter is the size tolerance, A= .0002", G= .001"

The different shapes are intended for particular purposes, a triangle falls somewhere in the middle, for instance a V shape 35 Deg. diamond is excellent for turning small diameters close to a center where a triangle will not fit yet are not good for rough turning or facing due to the acute angle.

A C shape 80 Deg. diamond will happily rough turn and face all day long if there is room for it.

Okay that helps. I see inserts labeled CCMT and DCMT. How does that compare to TPU or TPG?

The first letter is the shape in this case T is a triangle, S is square, R is round, C is an 80 Deg. diamond, V is a 35 Deg. diamond and so on.
The second letter is the clearance angle, P= 11 Deg., U= 0 Deg, C= 7 Deg.
The third letter is the size tolerance, A= .0002", G= .001"

The different shapes are intended for particular purposes, a triangle falls somewhere in the middle, for instance a V shape 35 Deg. diamond is excellent for turning small diameters close to a center where a triangle will not fit yet are not good for rough turning or facing due to the acute angle.

A C shape 80 Deg. diamond will happily rough turn and face all day long if there is room for it.

Is this an industry standard that is followed by all or most manufacturers?

Is this an industry standard that is followed by all or most manufacturers?
It is indeed an industry standard in the USA; I don't know about other countries.

Reactions: Z2V
considering your lathe i would look into brazed carbide

This chart gives a letter-by-letter, digit-by-digit breakdown of how SAE style inserts are described. Also, on that website is a breakdown of ISO insert nomenclature. For about 90% of all SAE inserts, there is a replacement/equivalent ISO. They are interchangeable: http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Here is a really good set of basic boring and tool holders. I do not have this exact set but, have all the same inserts and holders that were purchased individually over the years.

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...ool-set-sized-for-axa-quick-change-tool-post/

As far as how to use them and when to use them... Keep reading every article here on this website and also practice/learn thru trial and error. When I post my projects (I try to do 1 per month) I try to describe all the steps and background info as appropriate. People are always welcome to ask questions.

Ray

considering your lathe i would look into brazed carbide
His plan is to not have to shape and sharpen HSS tools; brazed tools are harder yet to sharpen, especially if they are badly chipped; I think it would be counter productive given what he asks for; my opinion is that he should learn to grind HSS tools, as the Atlas is not the best choice for the use of carbide tools; hard on the tools, hard on the lathe.

Back