[How-To] Central Machinery 9x20 Lathe

Vin81

Registered
Registered
Hello, I just purchased this lathe. I’d like to express how excited I was to learn about this forum, thanks for having me. I new to machining.

After finding this forum I quickly searched the threads and came across @wachuko with a 26 page thread on this lathe. I spent hours reading it and it helped me out tremendously.

I will add some pictures of my new to me lathe. I picked this lathe up for short money. After taking it home I immediately started taking it apart and cleaning it. Noticed the rack was worn and the gear shaft was stripped. Went on to grizzly and placed an order.

Thanks to that thread, so far I have ordered…

compound clamp
quick change tool post kit
bellows
Rack
Leadscrew
Half nut
Tailstock quill

Now I am onto a 4 jaw chuck journey. Would also like to install DRO or fixed dial indicators.

If anyone hs any suggestions on any of this or anything else, I’m open to any suggestions. Again thanks for having me.

Vin

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpeg
    IMG_3273.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!!

Hello and welcome, you'll find plenty of info and advice here.

These are great little machines, you're well in your way :cool:

John

Welcome! You've found the friendly corner of the machining internet - where nobody will crap on you for asking questions or for not spending "enough" on tools.

Welcome! You've found the friendly corner of the machining internet - where nobody will crap on you for asking questions or for not spending "enough" on tools.
Ty my friend. Any forum that craps on newbs or cares about how much you spend can’t be that valuable to begin with.

Hello, I just purchased this lathe. I’d like to express how excited I was to learn about this forum, thanks for having me. I new to machining.

After finding this forum I quickly searched the threads and came across @wachuko with a 36 page thread on this lathe. I spent hours reading it and it helped me out tremendously.

I will add some pictures of my new to me lathe. I picked this lathe up for short money. After taking it home I immediately started taking it apart and cleaning it. Noticed the rack was worn and the gear shaft was stripped. Went on to grizzly and placed an order.

Thanks to that thread, so far I have ordered…

compound clamp
quick change tool post kit
bellows
Rack
Leadscrew
Half nut
Tailstock quill

Now I am onto a 4 jaw chuck journey. Would also like to install a poor man’s DRO with dial indicators.

If anyone hs any suggestions on any of this or anything else, I’m open to any suggestions. Again thanks for having me.

Vin
Congrats on the HF Lathe. I did similar and found a early 1990's Central Machinery 12 24 in pieces, which had all the basic stuff like chucks, rests, and tail stock but all the electronics and original motor were missing.
I got it running with a treadmill motor and added a DRO from vevor which wasn't bad to install. Overall very impressed with it for a lathe originally sold at Harbor freight.
Again Congrats, should make a great lathe and we both even saved some money and are learning at the same time.

So this happened today. I was searching local Craig’s list and found an ad for sale. It was a G4000, brand new still in packing. It’s 20 years old and never used. I picked it up, now I have 2.

So I picked it up for $350, brought it home and started taking the paper off the factory dried out grease. It was a bit involved, but it’s sparkling new under that old grease and fragile paper.

My plan now is to make the repairs to the original one and sell it, and install the up grades to this one and start using it.

What a week. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3330.png
    IMG_3330.png
    866.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 90
Back