[How-To] Central Machinery 9x20 Lathe

So this happened today. I was searching local Craig’s list and found an ad for sale. It was a G4000, brand new still in packing. It’s 20 years old and never used. I picked it up, now I have 2.

So I picked it up for $350, brought it home and started taking the paper off the factory dried out grease. It was a bit involved, but it’s sparkling new under that old grease and fragile paper.

My plan now is to make the repairs to the original one and sell it, and install the up grades to this one and start using it.

What a week. Here are the pics.

Keep them both

By the way.
You suck!

Cutting oil is my blood.

$350? Eh...$350???? LOL! You done GOOD!

Last edited:
So this happened today. I was searching local Craig’s list and found an ad for sale. It was a G4000, brand new still in packing. It’s 20 years old and never used. I picked it up, now I have 2.

So I picked it up for $350, brought it home and started taking the paper off the factory dried out grease. It was a bit involved, but it’s sparkling new under that old grease and fragile paper.

My plan now is to make the repairs to the original one and sell it, and install the up grades to this one and start using it.

What a week. Here are the pics.
350.00!!!!??? Wow!!

Yup! Congratulations on :you suck:

Amazing find and price!!!!

It also came with a 4 jaw and 3 jaw, tooling., and bits. All brand new. Its crazy! Still can’t believe it.

Last edited:
I had a Jet 9” lathe that was basically that machine. They are fine lathes. Just keep everything lubed and properly adjusted.

Again great score. Enjoy!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Great find! Very very cheap compared to stuff around here! Did it come with the QCTP as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the new lathe came with a 4 jaw. I’m having a hard time getting it to mount to the play. The holes line up, the center thread alliance but the studs are to short. Anyone have any idea why I should do?

Last edited:
Photos help understand the issue.

What studs?? Hopefully you are not unbolting the chuck from the base plate!

Three-jaw chuck (attached to its backplate) should just unbolt from the lathe... Remove the securing screw with the clip. Uncrew the 3-jaw. Screw the 4-Jaw... install the securing clip with the screw back in...

Back