IMG_3348.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 40
EDIT: Have you tried just bolting the 4-Jaw to the lathe? Looks like it is ready to go... That is cool... very compact 4-jaw.

Photos you are sharing are of a faceplate (that is for something else... not for the 4-jaw)

I don’t see any plate for that chuck. How can I find one that fits?

My other 4 jaw came in today with the plate, but I need turn down the inside diameter. It’s a hair too big.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Looks like it just bolts directly… give it a try

The nut in the back hit, and also there’s no locking hole on the chuck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 47
The nut in the back hit, and also there’s no locking hole on the chuck
That doesn’t look right. Are you sure you didn’t purchase a wood lathe chuck?

@wachuko That 4 jaw chuck that I purchased, (what you suggested) looks beefier than the one that came with the lathe.
I’m a bit scared to turn it as it’s my first ever on a lathe!

Should I return that chuck and try to fit the factory one or keep it and turn ID on the plate?

Decisions, decisions….

@wachuko That 4 jaw chuck that I purchased, (what you suggested) looks beefier than the one that came with the lathe.
I’m a bit scared to turn it as it’s my first ever on a lathe!

Should I return that chuck and try to fit the factory one or keep it and turn ID on the plate?

Decisions, decisions….
On the new chuck... keep it and use it with your new backplate.

The backplate you purchased needs to be machined... that is on purpose. So you match it to your lathe. That way you can minimize runout. You install the backplate on the lathe. Then you turn the diameter of the inner circle to match that of the new chuck... take your time... you want a good fit..

You should also machine the face of the backplate. What touches the chuck. So the surface is parallel with the lathe. I hope that makes sense. This is all so that everything is concentric/aligned/parallel with your lathe.

Last edited:
Here... mute the video if the music is too bad... All your holes in the backplate are done... no need for you to do that... The video is just to show you what is needed to fit the new chuck to the new backplate. So all you need to watch is up to 4:10

He takes the inner circle to match the chuck... then, at around 3:57, he machines the outer part of the backplate surface.

You need to make sure the backplate is threaded all the way in.

I hope that helps explain the process.

Back