Chambering short barrels in the headstock

Got my D1-5 backplate taken care of. Fun little project all by itself.

22-03-17 17-20-38 7184.jpg

Now I'm thinking through how to keep the rest of the fixture as short and sweet as possible. I need to keep the first inch or so in tact at full diameter to account for the mounting bolts that join the two main pieces. I could put the rearward set of bolts through that section (with long ass bolts for a barrel fixture, heh) - Then taper the jig down after that.

I think that gives me everything I'm looking for. 7.25 inch overall length (vs an 11 inch two piece setup with a 4 jaw and inboard spider)

So for the old timers - am I doing anything stupid? Better way to skin a cat? Open to any suggestions.

22-03-17 19-00-09 7186.jpg

The thread below might be of interest. If using for an action truing jig, some smart gentleman recommend only using front screws resting on a bushing that wraps the front of the action. Otherwise you can bend the action.

That gentlemen makes the finest rifles money can buy, and produces perfect machine work.

I get to stress test my servo driving ELS on stuff like that. .200" cut off diameter at 1000 RPM with .010" feed rate. It will disappear quickly.

22-03-19 14-36-40 7194.jpg

Got the 2 inch hole bored all the way through. Man I hate boring.

I think the dimensions are going to be close to what you see. It's not very heavy as is, much lighter than a 4 jaw. iPhone photo makes it look a lot longer than it is.

Last edited:
22-03-19 17-24-05 7198.jpg

Got as far as I'll be able to until I get a longer tap and some hardware. I also put a couple of index pins in to help keep perfect alignment of the backplate and fixture. Thanks for the support everyone!

Back