Cheap place to buy metals online?

I just checked online metals. 8 foot 1"x1" square 1018 = 96.0" - $75.77 ea. then with the discount @10% would be at $68.19 plus shipping. I don't know how much shipping would cost. Just to compare to your metals super market quote.

Roy

Seems like we should be normalizing to $/pound to really understand the bargain/ripoff factor.

Do you ever wonder if you get the product, as advertised?
Is it 6061? How can you tell?
Cut offs are scrap, it should be a reduced price

My local supplier sells all the miscuts and left over ends at scrap prices $0.50 / lb on steel, aluminum and stainless around $2.00/lb I've picked up some decent deals, got a nice 2x3 foot piece of 1/2 steel for $30 that I'm using with a couple saw horses as my temporary welding table. Sometimes they don't even charge for smaller stuff, they just want it gone.

I've bought from Online Metals, Speedy, and Stock Car Steel (https://stockcarsteel.com/) before. Online Metals is typically the higher of the three (end cost to me). Next project, I'll look to use Yarde Metals (https://www.yarde.com/) since there's a location <3 miles from where I live. :) Oddly enough, check out Amazon for items. You can sometimes find stock that you need at a good enough price to make it worth it. Especially if you have a prime membership.

A project I'm starting to plan/gather supplies for is a power hammer. I already have what I can use for a base place (1/2" AR400) so I need to start gathering the rest. Or I'll use that AR400 plate for something else.

I'm going to Metals Supermarket on Monday. Looks like they have 12L14, too. They're on the other side of town, so I gotta get what I wanna get while I'm there. I'm already looking to get some 1" x 1" 1018 square bar. Maybe 3/4" and 1/2" too.

Is 12L14 pretty strong, comparable to 1018 CR? How about 1215? I'm kinda weary about the lead content on the 12L14...

Is 12L14 pretty strong, comparable to 1018 CR? How about 1215? I'm kinda weary about the lead content on the 12L14...
Adding lead doesn't affect the strength of the steel.

The lead in steel is not harmful as it is not in a soluble form. I wouldn't suck on the parts or the chips but that goes for any chips and parts.

Metal supermarkets is most likely your best source there for small quantities. Going across town is not that bad. Some places I have lived it was over an hour drive. Best advice I can give is plan your projects well

Just got back from Metal supermarkets. I got 4 foot long pieces of 1/2" x 1/2", 3/4" x 3/4", 1" x 1" squares and a 14" square 2" x 2" square 1018 cold rolled for $122

Back