Chinese lathe upgrades.

I have different look board.. Did check it fast, seems nothing has burned. I dont get why whould board short on frame.

I have different look board.. Did check it fast, seems nothing has burned. I dont get why whould board short on frame.
Im not sure how the electronics work but it sounds like one of the mosfets or maybe a resistor or diode is bad.

Eh look at how these things are assembled.
I can only imagine the vibration going through that control pannel.
Heck even any static generated can cause problems.
Sounds like the pot has a internal issue if it works but goes to full before you reach full? < thats how I read your description.
I have same problem with pots on my guitar. Sometimes I get dead zones on my pots. Especially if I dont use them much.
Over the years I have replaced with higher end pots and have less issues.

I would start with a new pot.
Check and fix any poor connections, make sure you have a good ground. Not a bad Idea to use a wrist ground strap when messing with the board.
Relocate and maybe add protective sheathing to potential wear/rub area of any wires.

Why your Outlet breaker tripped and not the machine fuse?
Im going to guess there was a quick jump in amps drawing to the motor directly?
Do you have sensitive ground fault protection breakers?
Its a good time to make sure your breaker is snug and wires to receptacle are tight.

We had to move the power strip on the work bench as the grinder vibrated the entire Bench enough the connections would come loose in the junction box.

Last edited:
Eh look at how these things are assembled.
I can only imagine the vibration going through that control pannel.
Heck even any static generated can cause problems.
Sounds like the pot has a internal issue if it works but goes to full before you reach full? < thats how I read your description.
I have same problem with pots on my guitar. Sometimes I get dead zones on my pots. Especially if I dont use them much.
Over the years I have replaced with higher end pots and have less issues.

I would start with a new pot.
Check and fix any poor connections, make sure you have a good ground. Not a bad Idea to use a wrist ground strap when messing with the board.
Relocate and maybe add protective sheathing to potential wear/rub area of any wires.

Why your Outlet breaker tripped and not the machine fuse?
Im going to guess there was a quick jump in amps drawing to the motor directly?
Do you have sensitive ground fault protection breakers?
Its a good time to make sure your breaker is snug and wires to receptacle are tight.

We had to move the power strip on the work bench as the grinder vibrated the entire Bench enough the connections would come loose in the junction

Wiring is good. Its the machine. I dont think potentiometer can affect motor to go "nuts". Waiting for supplier, if he ignores me, I think my last chance is to throw away that DC motor, put AC asynhronous 3 phase with VFD. But, I hope he just send me a new board, wasnt ready for some projects just to run that lathe.

Wiring is good. Its the machine. I dont think potentiometer can affect motor to go "nuts". Waiting for supplier, if he ignores me, I think my last chance is to throw away that DC motor, put AC asynhronous 3 phase with VFD. But, I hope he just send me a new board, wasnt ready for some projects just to run that lathe.
Yes these inexpensive lathes should come with a disclaimer
Needs inspecting , final assembly and repair before use!
The pot can definitely short internally . If your familiar with the other system and its easier to complete thats what you do.
I have been looking for a diagram of how that cicuit board works. Like where do the signals pass through and how they work
Lets say theres 3 different resistors if the “middle” one is no good it will by pass to the high speed circuit.
All speculation
I would need to see a flow diagram of the circuit board to have any idea of whats going on.

Last edited:
Yes these inexpensive lathes should come with a disclaimer
Needs inspecting , final assembly and repair before use!
The pot can definitely short internally .
If it gives max reading, why whould it short out?

If it gives max reading, why whould it short out?
Manufacturing defect, or not made correctly is a typical cause. It happens. If the pot is expected to be linear and it isn't, it should be replaced with a linear one of the same resistance value, hopefully the same value as marked on the pot! Due to a fault, the pot resistance may not match the marking.

So if it is a 2000 ohm pot (as an example), it might be stamped or labeled as 2K, 2k, 2000, 2E3, or even 202. The 202 code is 20 ohms times 10^2, which is 20 x 100 = 2K. A 5K pot would be 502, 10K would be 103, etc.

Now it wants to start, motor spins maybe a few revs and motherboard shorts to case of lathe.

The 7x and 8x lathes have electronic speed controls that have a reputation for being fussy.

There are groups specific to these lathes that may help with some of the trouble shooting. I know we have people that own these lathes, but there doesn't seem to be much active discussion of them.

It may be worth making a post specific to the issue you are having which may get the attention from some of the mini-lathe owners.

There is a groups io group for the mini lathes that is pretty active. I believe there are also some mini lathe groups on Facebook.

https://groups.io/g/7x12MiniLathe

It is not uncommon that new owners have to do a fair bit of work to get these small lathes working well, but many are quite pleased with them once they have worked out the bugs.

Back