Classic Products You Wish You Didn’t Remember

Not a TV geegaw or gimcrack, but I never was fond of TV, especially the adverts. But there is was a silly movie I'd like to find. A young teenager and a dragon. The pair would walk to a town, the dragon would burn half the town and steal some livestock. Then the kid would appear and chase the dragon off. The kid was well fed by the town and then the two would move on down the road. If anyone can recall the title, I would appreciate a heads-up. I have been searching YouTube for months. And not particularly interested in rape, burn, and pillage. The movie I'm searching for was fun. Not funny, just fun.

Not a TV geegaw or gimcrack, but I never was fond of TV, especially the adverts. But there is was a silly movie I'd like to find. A young teenager and a dragon. The pair would walk to a town, the dragon would burn half the town and steal some livestock. Then the kid would appear and chase the dragon off. The kid was well fed by the town and then the two would move on down the road. If anyone can recall the title, I would appreciate a heads-up. I have been searching YouTube for months. And not particularly interested in rape, burn, and pillage. The movie I'm searching for was fun. Not funny, just fun.

Ugh, I know the movie - can't remember the name.

EDIT: DragronHeart (1996)

“Weed Bar” is another one burned indelibly into my senses. Consisted of a waxy bar about 2’ long with a cord attached at each end. The idea was you tow the bar behind the push mower on nice hot summer days. The key components of the bar, other than wax, were such lovely things as 24D, dicamba, mecoprop, etc which were now deposited via the sun-warmed wax onto any offending dandelions. This was about 1968.

After a season of dragging this around your lawn the wax bar would wear down to the cardboard core and you’d theoretically be forced to buy a new one. A frugal father, however, would break off the remaining wax into chunks so that he could rub it directly onto any remaining dandelions. Safety was not spared of course, so he might wear leather gloves which would quickly soak up the warm, waxy chemical. Good lord, he lived to be almost 90 but I can still remember the smell of that bar and the gloves!

We never used the Weed Bar, but did use some equally nasty chemicals on the lawn. About the worst was the "Blitz Fogger" mosquito killer. It had a chemical tank attached to either a push mower or a garden tractor, with a tube that went to the muffler. You drilled a hole in the muffler and screwed in a fitting to attach the tube. Then just open the valve on the tank and start mowing.

The thing produced a cloud of insecticide so thick you couldn't see where you were mowing. After mowing a couple acres you had a buzz better than drinking a case of beer and a headache so bad you thought you'd been hit in the head with a hammer. All that for one or two mosquito free days. Most times it took longer to recover from the buzz and the headache than the insecticide worked killing the bugs. We finally gave up on the stuff. Not for health reasons, but because it was too expensive and needed to be applied too often.

Two words, Lawn darts. May have inspired Steve Martin's arrow through the head bit.

And, I remember the dip stuff. My sister had that and would dip wire forms into it to make flower petals, etc.

About the only tv I watched as a kid was cartoons. But read a LOT of comics. And the weird ads in the back. Anybody ever get the X-ray glasses? Bought one of the little submarines, it was cardboard and you put tablets(antacid?) in it. Also got a couple of the space ships that would “magically“ fly. They were very cool, very Buck Rodgers. I think they were some kind of pot metal and you ran them on a string. I’ve never seen one since I was a little kid. Ours got broken when the string broke and it hit the floor.

Read the fine print..."3hp"!!

Not sure an outlet in our old house back then would source 8 Amps, unless we put a penny behind the screw-in fuse to up the rated current that is...

Back