Classic Products You Wish You Didn’t Remember

My Dad had this stuff, like green crystals, you'd pour some on a pile of dog poop. The flies would die by the thousands. It was great fun to watch them buzz around, forming a huge mountain of dead flies. I had a great childhood. I'm sure the stuff had DDT in it. Wish I knew what it was called. And in California!
Also remember this Nabisco cookie called "Ideal peanut logs" my brothers and I would inhale pound after pound. Pure bliss. We visited the dentist often.
-Mark

tjb mentioned the chest type Coke cooler. There was one outside the corner store in the village. Someone, got a bottle opener, pop the top while the bottle was still in the machine and drink it through a straw

Greg

On a little bit of a cheerier note, any of you remember the small green 6-1/2 oz. returnable Coke bottles that had the city and state of the bottler on the bottom? I grew up in Atlanta where Coca-Cola had its headquarters. We used to have contests of who could collect Coke bottles from the farthest away. I had a pretty enviable collection of them. Wish I still had them. I could probably sell it for enough now to equip a brand new shop with all new CNC equipment.

There was a department store in downtown Atlanta that had a Coke machine in the warehouse on the top floor. Many Coke machines back then were chest-type: you drop in your coin, open the lid, and pull out your Coke. Got no idea how he did it, but one of our gang managed to get up there, and he discovered the machine dispensed Coke for only a nickel. It was supposed to be employees only, but we'd go up there about once a week and get a Coke. We finally got kicked out. Managers finally discovered the reason they'd regularly be short several of those returnable bottles every week. Hey, those things were worth a penny or two at the corner grocery store.

We also would take the bottle caps and put them in the spokes of bicycles, and use a clothes pin to attach a playing card to the forks so that it would 'flap' when riding. That was the epitome of 'cool'. And, of course, you'd have your pomade or butch wax or Brylcreem glopped all over your head in the process.

I still remember in the early '60's when most restaurants started going to fountain Coke instead of bottled. I worked in a restaurant at the time, and NOBODY liked the change. (That is, of course, except the busboys that had to lug Coke bottles around when bussing tables.)

Those were the days.
Back in the 1980s, I had a Coke machine in my shop that dispensed the small Coke bottles for 5 cents, it had a vertical rotary magazine, and you dropped your coin(s) and turned the crank and down came your bottle. I had it set up for 10 cents, and the price of a bottle kept going up until the limit on resetting the coin mechanism was exceeded by the price of the Coke, so I got rid of the machine and replaced it with a refrigerator; how stupid was that? How much would that classic Coke machine be worth now???

tjb mentioned the chest type Coke cooler. There was one outside the corner store in the village. Someone, got a bottle opener, pop the top while the bottle was still in the machine and drink it through a straw

Greg
Glad we didn't think of that. We'd all probably still be in jail!

Back in the 1980s, I had a Coke machine in my shop that dispensed the small Coke bottles for 5 cents, it had a vertical rotary magazine, and you dropped your coin(s) and turned the crank and down came your bottle. I had it set up for 10 cents, and the price of a bottle kept going up until the limit on resetting the coin mechanism was exceeded by the price of the Coke, so I got rid of the machine and replaced it with a refrigerator; how stupid was that? How much would that classic Coke machine be worth now???
Depends on the machine. A couple of years ago, we finished our basement in retro-style. I have a passenger door from an old truck hanging on the wall with a curb service tray on it and some soft drink glasses (anybody remember the Varsity from back in the old days?). We have an old gum ball machine and some other memorabilia down there. Looked for an old Coke machine and found a couple. The older style - like we were trying to find - were either trashed are very expensive. That idea just kinda dropped off the radar screen. This thread is making me re-think that. Oh, boy. Hope my wife doesn't read this.

Regards

Only the Patty-Stacker.....
A guy I knew had an opening line with girls at the bar...

"Your hairstyle--is that a Topsy Tail?"

IMG_6504F.jpg

;)

Craig

Back