Classic Products You Wish You Didn’t Remember

Growing up in the mid 50's it was no big deal to go to the local garden store and get a can of Ortho Triox herbicide, mix it 1 or two teaspoons to the gallon and spread it where you didn't want stuff to grow. Active ingredient: Arsenic Trioxide. Don't see much of that anymore!

SWMBO and I enjoy decorating with 'odd stuff, here's one of the kitchen cabinets:

KitchenCabinet.jpg

Ah, the good old days!

Stu

As an explanation for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

How about Geritol for "iron poor blood"? Carter's Little Liver Pills? Then there was the weekly dose of cod liver oil. We used to brush our teeth with tooth powder.

Growing up in the mid 50's it was no big deal to go to the local garden store and get a can of Ortho Triox herbicide, mix it 1 or two teaspoons to the gallon and spread it where you didn't want stuff to grow. Active ingredient: Arsenic Trioxide. Don't see much of that anymore!

SWMBO and I enjoy decorating with 'odd stuff, here's one of the kitchen cabinets:

View attachment 335824

Ah, the good old days!

Stu

As an explanation for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol wrote "It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."
I hope the calcium cyanide can in the upper left is empty!

And “clackers” — two plastic balls on a string that you were supposed to get knocking together really fast. If you didn’t knock yourself senseless first!
Click Clacks they called em over here, I remember them well many dents in the forehead trying to use them. too funny! it brought back some fond memories thanks.

Mercurochrome - a red colored antiseptic liquid for cuts and scrapes.

Shell No-Pest Strips - they looked like a big strip of yellow taffy that you hung from the ceiling. Not sticky like flypaper, they contained nasty pesticides and lasted for months. We used them in our barn and they were effective at killing flies. Whatever was in them must have been very potent; I'm sure breathing it wasn't good for us.

Back